Disappearing Drizzle on Cake

(6 Posts)
whethertheweather Thu 21-May-15 10:24:18

Yesterday I made Mary Berry's banana cake that has a honey drizzle icing (runny honey, icing sugar, bit of water) on top.

All very delicious but I had the same problem I always have with all my drizzle cakes - what looks like lovely white icing in the mixing bowl just sort of disappears when it dries on top of the cake - just turns into a clear sheen. Not awful looking but not what I want.

I must be doing something wrong each time - I just can't figure out what it is. Why can't I make beautiful drizzly cakes like in the recipe photos?

tartiflette Thu 21-May-15 10:26:38

Maybe the cake is too warm when you put the drizzle on, or the icing might need to be a bit thicker?

Honey drizzle sounds lovely!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 21-May-15 10:26:58

Is the cake still warm? You need a cold cake.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 21-May-15 10:39:23

You need to make it a little bit thicker, it's soaking into the cake. And yes it's easier if the cake is cold.

Yum.

whethertheweather Thu 21-May-15 11:58:14

Thanks all.

The cake was cold so I think the problem is my icing was/is always too runny - I seem to remember thinking this time that half a teaspoon of water wasn't enough as the icing wouldn't possibly drizzle off the spoon easily....

MB banana cake recipe to be recommended - it's from her MB Cooks the Perfect book

FeelingSmurfy Thu 21-May-15 12:06:44

May not look as good but will be yummy and moist smile I poke holes in mine with toothpicks to allow it to soak in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now