beginner help

(4 Posts)
Meamomma Mon 11-May-15 09:40:50

I'm pretty much a beginner with baking. I don't think I've made a sponge cake since I was in school, and I'm 38 now! So my question is: what basic equipment do I need and which make of tins etc are good quality but inexpensive? Oh and I need a good sponge cake recipe

WishUponAStar88 Mon 11-May-15 09:46:39

You don't need much really! Electric mixers are fab but otherwise a mixing bowl, spoon and spatula will do fine! I've never had a problem with non stick supermarket tins.
Sponge cake: 120g marg, caster sugar and SR flour. 2 eggs and a little baking powder. Mix the marg and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs. Stir in the sieved flour and baking powder. Don't overdo stirring the flour - just until it's all mixed in. Bake at 160 (fan).
Happy baking smile

dylsmimi Mon 11-May-15 09:52:48

If you do get a mixer just get a hand mixer you can normally get them fairly cheap from supermarkets. Any big stand mixers encourage over mixing although that doesn't stop me wanting a kitchen aid!!!grin
Are there any courses near you? If you are in the north west I can recommend a great place to learn all kinds of baking and decorating etc
Main thing to remember is to have fun and it likely won't look like the picture in the book but as long as it tastes good that's the main point! grin

aprilwintour Thu 14-May-15 15:36:31

Totally agree about the mixers! My sister and mum have a Kitchen Aid but there's no way I could justify the money on it. We have a hand mixer (was under £20) I'm sure that works just great. Then if you really get into baking you can always look to get different equipment.

Hummingbird Bakery does a lovely sponge, search on Google and most blogs have a version of the recipe, vanilla sponge I think. Oh and their creamcheese frosting is the die for!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now