Idiots guide to Grease proof paper

(7 Posts)
AtSea1979 Sat 02-May-15 16:46:25

Which way up does it go?
Shining side down or up?

Attempting to make DS a birthday cake using Asda medeira mix (designed for two shallow tins) in a deep square tin.

AmyElliotDunne Sat 02-May-15 16:53:45

I use shiny side up, but I also grease the tin and then grease the paper. Just made a really sticky chocolate cake today doing this and the paper came off fine.

I also wrap the cake in cling film shortly after it comes out of the oven to keep the steam inside, makes it really moist. I forgot to do this with DS's cake and he moaned that it was really dry!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-May-15 16:59:31

I'd always use baking parchment rather than greaseproof paper - I always find greaseproof paper sticks really badly?

AtSea1979 Sat 02-May-15 16:59:36

Thankyou, tin is greased now so I'll put paper in and grease that too. Never heard of the cling film thing.

KatharineClifton Sat 02-May-15 17:00:46

You can get tin liners ready made really cheap. In poundland and the like.

AtSea1979 Sat 02-May-15 17:06:36

Ah well I don't have any parchment but I'll try and get some before the party. This is the practice run, the party is next wkend.

AtSea1979 Sat 02-May-15 18:24:48

Well it's cooked through nicely but it's not risen much. Would adding a bit of bicarb or baking powder help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now