I'm colouring some sugar paste today to use on Monday - how should I store it?

(11 Posts)
redandyellowbits Thu 26-Jun-14 18:21:57

Can I freeze it or should it go into an airtight container - will it keep till Monday?

I'll be rolling out on Monday and decorating the cake on the same day, so I assume I should defrost the night before?

MikeLitoris Thu 26-Jun-14 18:23:18

Don't freeze it. I just put mine in a zip lock bag or wrap well in cling film.

redandyellowbits Thu 26-Jun-14 18:27:01

Thanks Mike. Will it keep till Monday stored in cling film?

And do I need to let it breathe before I work with it?

I would cling film then ziplock bag, keep it at room temp and knead it well before using. Don't fridge or freeze it or it will sweat as it warms up and get sticky.

MikeLitoris Thu 26-Jun-14 18:31:29

Yes it will keep. Just give it a good knead before using.

2kidsintow Thu 26-Jun-14 18:33:01

Def cling film so that there's no chance the surface of the icing can dry out. If it did, pick all the dry bits off as they won't blend back into the icing after.

Don't fridge or freeze it, in fact if it's a bit hard you can microwave it for short bursts until it's malleable again.

crazykat Thu 26-Jun-14 19:00:06

I wrap tightly in cling film then either put it an a zip lock bag and write the use by date on it.

I've kept some for a couple of months before and its been fine so long as its in date.

redandyellowbits Thu 26-Jun-14 19:54:24

Thanks - would it be easier to roll it out ready before storing or should I store in a lump instead?

Store it in a lump and knead and roll just before use.

A big flat bit is much more likely to dry out if any tiny bit is uncovered.

redandyellowbits Fri 27-Jun-14 19:07:37

Thank you! I ran out of time yesterday but I have just coloured and wrapped it ready to use on Monday.
Any tips on how to cover an 8" round cake with fondant would be great smile

Also do you generally make you own fondant or buy it? Which is better do you think?

MikeLitoris Fri 27-Jun-14 19:57:09

I always buy white and colour it myself. Except black and red.

No real tips for covering. Don't roll too thin and get some smoother.

Most importantly take your time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now