A cake that bakes its own sauce

(9 Posts)
SixImpossible Tue 24-Jun-14 18:44:22

Is there such a thing?

I don't know whether I've actually eaten it, or imagined it!

A bit like a pineapple upside down cake without fruit, or a classic steamed sponge, only in this recipe you mixed all the ingredients together and the sauce separated out as the cake baked.

So, does it exist?

pootlebug Tue 24-Jun-14 18:47:30

I used to do a chocolate pudding recipe that made its own sauce. You made a cake-y mix, then sprinkled cocoa, sugar and water on the top....looked like the whole thing would be a disaster but miraculously out came cake-y pudding and sauce.

Google 'chocolate self saucing pudding' - there are loads.

I do either chocolate self saucing pudding or Lemon self saucing pudding. the DC love them

I use this chocolate recipe

this lemon pud one.

cerealqueen Thu 10-Jul-14 11:09:12

I remember these from the 7os, it was called 'Saucy Sponge' and the sauce was at the bottom.I thought it was strange magic. I must try those recipes blueberry!!

mrsminiverscharlady Mon 14-Jul-14 17:25:10

This one is lovely www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3331/toffee-apple-pudding

petitdonkey Mon 14-Jul-14 17:27:29

this is what my children have on Christmas day as they don't like Christmas pud!!

OpiesOldLady Mon 14-Jul-14 17:28:26

Yes, there are several, and I usually make them in my slow cooker.

Self saucing Jaffa pudding or butterscotch pudding are firm favourites in this house.

playftseforme Mon 14-Jul-14 17:29:33

Bbc goodfood has a never fail one for a choc orange self saucing cake. Works a treat for sunday lunch.

RiojaHaze Mon 14-Jul-14 17:32:54

There's a Nigella sticky toffee pudding one on her website which is amazing and really easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now