Proofing bread

(19 Posts)
Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:03:09

Our lovely sunshine is not hot enough for my dough to rise. I am currently trying it in the top oven with the bottom oven on but clearly that is a waste of energy. Any other ideas please?

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 22-Jun-14 11:08:27

Once reacted, yeast can actually rise in very low temperatures, some recipes call for overnight proving in the fridge

What recipe are you using, OP?

Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:12:42

I am making herb flutes. It just says to leave it somewhere warm until doubled in size. Lunch is going to be late at this rate as I needs to prove again for 45 minutes before I can bake it.

Is it proving? Amazong said proofing basket confused.

Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:13:16

Amazon blush

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 22-Jun-14 11:17:39

How fresh is your yeast? Is there sugar in the mix at all? How long did you knead it for? Is the dough springy to touch? Did you use cold/blood heat water to mix?
All can delay the rise, but it does take time.

The best bread can take hours to prepare and bake, you can't hurry it I'm afraid

Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:27:35

Yeast is fresh in that it was only opened last week but isn't fresh from the bakers iyswim. No sugar in the recipe. I kneaded it until smooth and used warm water as stated. It is a little springy.

I make a lot of bread so know it can take a while but it should really have started to grow by now.

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 22-Jun-14 11:31:47

Hmmmn

I always add a half teaspoon of sugar to start the yeast off

Is your flour ok?

Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:36:24

Flour appears okay. I have made lots of bread lately and only once do I think I should have let it prove a bit longer. No heating on so my airing cupboard is useless at the moment. I need to factor in longer time in this weather I think.

I have knocked it back and made it into flutes and have it proving again so we will see what happens..

Quivering Sun 22-Jun-14 11:37:26

This is an old wives take but you can try it - cover your dough with clingfilm and stand a box of matches on ir, striker side touching the dough. I bake bread weekly and this always hurries things along.

Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:50:25

Wow!

Quivering Sun 22-Jun-14 11:54:56

My matches did the trick and you are now riding your dough out the door?

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 22-Jun-14 11:56:49

And now I've set my bread maker going for the first time in months grin I'm currently recovering from major surgery and not able to cook or bake and was feeling pretty useless until I figured letting the wonder of modern technology would help me along today. Thanks for the inspiration.

Never heard that about matches - will keep that in mind for when I can do it properly by hand again

Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 12:17:22

<wades back in to the kitchen only slightly battered> grin

I figured I couldn't try the matches as had them in the top oven on 50 degrees. Not convinced they grew at all but waited the 45 minutes and they are not baking in the oven Time will tell but I will try the matches idea next time.

Hope your baking goes well and you feel better soon.

I made lemon and ginger loaf in my bread maker this morning.

JennyOnTheBlocks Mon 23-Jun-14 15:11:41

How was your lunch, Itsfab?

Itsfab Mon 23-Jun-14 16:49:46

Bread not nice sad. I will plan ahead in future but need to find some breads that don't need hours and hours to prove.

HermioneWeasley Mon 23-Jun-14 16:54:34

How to make a home prover

Fill your sink with a few inches of tepid water. Stick a bowl in the sink wrong way up (ie: base up). Water should come about half way up the bowl. Rest your bread tray on the upturned bowl, then cover the sink opening with cling film.

(If bastard bread isn't proving then add hotter water!)

Itsfab Mon 23-Jun-14 17:10:26

That sounds safer than matches I am accident prone...

Will give it a go.

Thank you.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 24-Jun-14 11:00:26

Focaccia and baguettes don't need as long to prove, IME. And they're delicious!

mousmous Tue 24-Jun-14 11:05:48

do you use wholemeal? that takes a bit longer.
I use the sponge method and activating the yeast/making the sponge takes 8-10 hours and then after mixing the dough another hour or so. I don't really prove a second time but put the loaf into a cold oven to bake (makes for a softer crust)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now