Two tiered cake, size of each cake?

(8 Posts)
LeonardoAcropolis Mon 16-Jun-14 15:05:11

Hello, after some advice.

If the top tier of a cake is cooked in a 6 inch pan, how big should the bottom be? 8 inches or 9 inches? I have not done this before.

I only have shallow cake pans, should I use deep pans if each cake is to be tall enough? If I use shallow pans will I imagine I may lose too much cake by levelling the tops.

Hanginggardenofboobylon Mon 16-Jun-14 15:09:24

I have done a 6 on top and a 10 on the bottom, shallow pans but two cakes sandwiched together for each tier. Are they to be sat directly on top of eachother with dowel? I think you can get away with a smaller size difference if you are separating with columns or pillars. Having said that I think 6 and 9 would be fine.

LeonardoAcropolis Mon 16-Jun-14 15:38:37

Hi, thanks for your answer, yes I will stack them and use some dowells. The bottom tier will prob be a fruit cake so no sandwiching there, I will have a trial run and if the size difference looks silly I will invest in a 10 inch pan.

It is to be my brother's wedding cake (bites knuckles).

Hanginggardenofboobylon Mon 16-Jun-14 16:22:54

Wow good luck!

TwigletFiend Tue 17-Jun-14 10:02:19

I tend to think of it as the 'shelf' that gets left behind - so for a 3" size difference, you'll have a 1.5" shelf all the way around the cake between the layers if your top tier is central. For a simple style, that's probably fine. How much decoration do you want though? Once you've iced etc. (assuming you're using fondant?) that's not a huge amount of space for very ornate décor. Hope that helps smile

LeonardoAcropolis Tue 17-Jun-14 10:43:19

Hello twiglet, thanks for your reply. The decoration will be very simple, a ribbon around the bottom of each and some little sugar paste butterflies stuck to the sides.

Tiered wedding cakes would normally be done in 2" steps, i.e. 7"/9"/11" or 6"/8"/10"etc. Mind you, who has to be normal?

LeonardoAcropolis Tue 17-Jun-14 11:40:22

Not me grin If I was doing 3 tiers then a smaller ledge would look nicer but as it's only two I hope it will look fine. I am getting a couple of chances to practice so I hope I will get it right. My dad and ds1 will get birthday cakes resembling wedding cakes, haha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now