Silicone bakeware

(8 Posts)

I have recently become over fond of a recipe which blends a tin of chickpeas with artificial sweeter etc into a fatless sponge base. I cook it in two silicone 'tins' at 190 for 30 mins. I am having a bit of trouble getting them out of the containers whole, despite greasing. I've tried wiggling the edges with a spatula, carefully pushing the base upside down to break the seal...What am I doing wrong? TIA

MikeLitoris Sun 15-Jun-14 16:42:26

Do you flour the tin after greasing? And do you love until completely cold?

msrisotto Sun 15-Jun-14 16:47:06

hmm.
Try greasing then flouring.
It's strange though because cakes usually separate from the sides when they're cooked through.

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Jun-14 16:48:40

Lol at Mike. Not sure I'd love it hot or cold!!!!

Do you leave it until cold (as Mike meant)?

Are your silicone tins ok that hot? I knowthat some of the cheaper ones (like what get given away with magazines) aren't any good above 160 ish or so. I got much better results with my Lakeland silicone stuff.

Maybe spray with a bit of Frylite before hand? (I am guessing that greasing with butter is out of the question since you are make cake out of chick peas and sweetner).

MikeLitoris Sun 15-Jun-14 16:51:09

grin leave it until it's cold makes much more sense!

I think the pans are meant to be ok up to about 200 degrees ish. I have been greasing with low-fat spread, not tried flour after. Wondered if the chick pea, no fat mix made a difference. Not left until completely cold, no. Frightened it would make it soggy! All good suggestions, thanks.

u32ng Mon 16-Jun-14 18:14:19

Wilton do a product called 'cake release' to help cakes out of their fancy shaped tins. No idea how it would fare on sillicone but maybe worth a go if you don't want to try waiting for the cakes to cool.

I've never used it myself but happy with the other Wilton things I've had so I'm basing its usefulness on that!

Ah, that's a good idea u32. I have seen it, or something similar, in the Lakeland catalogue, but not made the connection <duh> Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now