I just used up leftover porridge to genuinely delicious results !

(13 Posts)
anotetofollowso Tue 10-Jun-14 08:08:00

Am I not a FRUGAL domestic goddess?? I made oatmeal porridge and, as usual, had loads leftover. So I found a recipe for muffins using cooked oatmeal and they were delicious. So delicious I had to cook more oatmeal to meet the clamor for more muffins. And I feel I have discovered a new muffin secret: they were much more moist than usual, presumably because the oatmeal was precooked.

If anyone wants the recipe I'll try to link (oh go on, ask me. I'm dying to share)

<<<inordinately and pathetically pleased with myself for making good use of leftovers. And for making nice muffins. Twirls >>>

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 10-Jun-14 08:10:02

I would like recipe please smile

Fillybuster Tue 10-Jun-14 08:11:00

Yes please!

anotetofollowso Tue 10-Jun-14 08:24:37

Oh alright then. But only since you ask smile

It's from food.com. I am rubbish at linking so I pasted the recipe below. I added a tsp on cinnamon and could have happily reduced the sugar. They were a bit sweet for me but DS loved them. I've only made them with white flour but am going to see if I can get away with sneaking in some brown or wholewheat instead.

1 cup flour (white or wheat)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup melted butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup leftover cooked oatmeal
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In another bowl, mix together melted butter, eggs, oatmeal, raisins and vanilla;.
3. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
4. The batter will seem thick, but don't worry. Any time I've added extra liquid the muffins turned out crumbly.
5. Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups.
6.Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes, or until the muffin centers are slightly firm.

Helpys Tue 10-Jun-14 08:26:08

Thank you.
Love porridge and always have leftovers!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 10-Jun-14 08:28:08

I shall be trying this!!

GingerRodgers Tue 10-Jun-14 08:30:02

2 questions;

1- is cooked oatmeal just porridge oats as in made with milk like breakfast?
2- how much is a cup?

confused <dense emoticon>

Devora Tue 10-Jun-14 08:31:04

I am joining the porridge muffin party.

anotetofollowso Tue 10-Jun-14 08:40:35

Devora smile at the porridge muffin party. I need to get out more ..

Yep Ginger, its just leftover porridge oats made with milk/water for brekkie. That's the genius of this recipe - you get to use up leftover porridge. With regard to the cup question: I literally used a teacup to measure out anything that called for a cup, or half a cup. But if you prefer weight and grams then go to the website (food.com) because you can click on a button that gives you weight rather than cup measurements.

incogKNEEto Tue 10-Jun-14 09:24:44

Thanks for the recipe, I might have to give these a go smile

GingerRodgers Tue 10-Jun-14 12:24:45

Ah ah I see! Thanking you.

Off to stuff my face now! smile

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Jun-14 12:34:55

Anotetofollowso - can we prevail upon you to add your fabulous innovation to our Recipes section here so loads more people can try it too?

Fillybuster Tue 10-Jun-14 13:47:23

Fab - thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now