What can I perfect next?

(13 Posts)
RoseberryTopping Sat 07-Jun-14 14:55:26

I'm brilliant (even if I do say so myself) at a Victoria sponge now, looking for some inspiration of what to practise next. Any ideas or recipes?

IWillYeah Sat 07-Jun-14 15:01:35

A really god, moist carrot cake? Hard to get right, but when its well executed....YUM.

Or muffins. You can go crazy inventing different combinations of ingredient (I did this last week...did raisin and oatmeal, blueberry, apple and raisin, banana....am venturing on to scones this week grin)...novice baker, but really enjoying it).

IWillYeah Sat 07-Jun-14 15:01:44

*good

sharond101 Sat 07-Jun-14 21:56:39

pastry

ZenNudist Sat 07-Jun-14 23:31:57

I'm doing loaf cakes: almond and cherry, coconut, gingerbread, walnut so far. I like having something around to slice into. Friends love it to come round to home made treats that aren't too decadent. Although I have my eye on a nigella quadruple chocolate one. My mission is to make things as quickly and simply as possible.

I'm also loving making all sorts of brownies. Yum wink

Castlelough Thu 12-Jun-14 20:17:14

Well what did you decide on?
I mastered the Victoria sponge too! smile
Might go for some varieties of chocolate cake next...

RoseberryTopping Fri 13-Jun-14 19:09:54

I think something like lemon drizzle is next on the cards. Maybe will work on some apple recipes as DP loves a good apple pie and is always begging me to make something.

weegiemum Fri 13-Jun-14 19:10:56

Swiss Roll I'll send you my address

Onetwothreeoops Fri 13-Jun-14 19:13:15

You could master homemade custard to go with the apple pie. That's quite tricky I'm told.

Castlelough Sun 15-Jun-14 08:59:09

Onetwothree that's a great idea. I have decided to work on scones myself.
Going to work through an 'afternoon tea' menu and then have a tea party! grin

The first cake I mastered was a red velvet cake; yummy, fun coloured and most importantly, easy. Also brownies are a useful recipe for school events etc. But my favourite is definitely strawberry fridge cheesecake, no cooking involved!

fiestabelle1 Tue 22-Jul-14 22:51:56

Zen, I prefer loaf cakes too, what recipes do you use for the ones you have mentioned? They all sound lovely.

Pico2 Tue 22-Jul-14 22:54:43

Chocolate cake - it is hard to find a perfect recipe and the right icing. Though DH has perfected a combination of Nigella's fudge cake (don't overbake) with ganache as the icing. Layering up and crumb coating with cooler ganache and then pouring the final coating to get a smooth, shiny covering takes some work.

Carrot cake goes down pretty well too.

Or perhaps profiteroles or scones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now