Muffins / Scones recipes please

(7 Posts)
Alibally28 Thu 05-Jun-14 11:14:23

Hiya

Is anyone will ing to provide some nice muffin or scone recipes?

Whenever I make scones they seem to dry out really quickly. Any advice?

I love baking whenever I can and would like to try muffins but not sure how to do it.

Thanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 05-Jun-14 14:32:46

We don't tend to bake scone but we do love these chocolate muffins smile

Alibally28 Thu 05-Jun-14 14:43:47

Thanks - going to give them a go :D

FriedaMensch Thu 05-Jun-14 14:50:13

Scones are best eaten straight away imo.

My oven is a bit uneven - which is good if I make lots of scones, as we eat the perfectly done ones, then save the slightly underdone ones in an airtight box and heat them for another 5 minutes in the oven when we want to eat them.

You should touch scone dough as little as possible to make them light and fluffy - I stir the milk in with a knife, then tip it out on a board and just gently pat it down with my hands. Using buttermilk, if you can find it, makes much better dough, it's not as sticky as with just using normal milk.

Alibally28 Thu 05-Jun-14 14:53:08

Ahhh I see. I will try that. I like them straight out the oven too nice and hot adn the buttermelts mmmmmm. lol.

I would like them to be just a wee bit more moist though so will see if that works.

littlegreengloworm Thu 05-Jun-14 14:54:57

What recipe do you use frieda smile

FriedaMensch Thu 05-Jun-14 16:12:47

I just do a very basic recipe (and rough measurements as my scales are a bit old and inexact)

250g flour, 50g butter, 30g sugar, pinch of salt, 150ml buttermilk.

rub the butter and flour together, add the salt and sugar, stir in the buttermilk with a flat bladed knife, once it has turned into a dough tip out and pat down very gently on a floured board, cut out with a cutter and cook for 10-15 mins.

Sometimes I add some chopped dried fruit with the sugar, not always.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now