Recipes with ready brek

(18 Posts)
ShineSmile Wed 04-Jun-14 12:02:38

I'm trying to get my DD (12 months) to have 25g of ready brek (for the calcium - she has multiple allergies)

She's refusing straight porridge. Any ideas on making them into some type of finger food?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Jun-14 19:52:36

Have you tried making some porridge fingers? She may eat those.

Is calcium a particular concern? Have you tried her with smooth almond butter, tinned sardines on toast, tinned salmon made into fish cakes or just a sandwich? Does eat green veg like broccolli?

Which milk does she have?

plus2new Wed 04-Jun-14 19:54:09

My dd was a terrible eater at that age but she liked the fruit puree pots so I used to mix it half ready break, half fruit puree and she always wolfed it down.

Mix with fruit puree for flavour.

Or make with less liquid than normal, and spread onto a plate in quite a thick layer, and allow to cool. Cut into fingers. Can be dipped in yoghurt, but I guess that is out?, can be dipped in runny stuff!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Jun-14 20:11:15

Or got to say that I always mixed ours with fruit purée, or a chopped banana or raisin or berries. Lots of lovely fruit around to choose from at this time of year smile

ShineSmile Wed 04-Jun-14 20:46:03

Thanks! Ill give those ideas a try.

She is on koko for cereal but still BF. she doesn't seem to tolerate fish.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Jun-14 20:58:14

Erm if she's bf, why are you worrying about her calcium intake? smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Jun-14 21:08:49

According to kellymom bfing will provide her with 36% of her daily calcium requirements.

If she doesn't like fish, 50/50 bread is DF and has good calcium content, as does the almond butter and the green veg smile

ShineSmile Wed 04-Jun-14 21:31:38

We are dairy, soya, egg, wheat, nuts and fish free! Hence the worry about getting enough calcium in her

plus2new Thu 05-Jun-14 12:52:00

That's a lot to avoid OP, must be tough getting a balanced diet. We were egg and nut free and that was tricky enough.

SmilingandWaving Thu 05-Jun-14 12:54:46

You can make oat cakes using it. They're really easy & I think dairy free if you use olive oil. I made them to use a a box that wasn't getting eaten. They were lovely!

ShineSmile Thu 05-Jun-14 12:57:01

Smiling, thanks! Do you have the recipe?

I'm trying cookies today with banana and dates. I hope she takes to them.

SmilingandWaving Thu 05-Jun-14 13:44:05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/oatcakes_74180

SmilingandWaving Thu 05-Jun-14 13:48:18

Oops, sorry!!

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/oatcakes_74180

I've just realised it uses flour though, can you get wheat free flour?

DS was thought to be lactose intolerant when he was about 18 months, although we later found out it was something else. I seem to remember dried figs apparently being high in calcium & also cannellini beans which you can use to make hummus. DS still loves the hummus now!

SmilingandWaving Thu 05-Jun-14 13:49:36

Meant to say in the recipe I replace the lard confused with olive oil & I left out the salt as well.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 05-Jun-14 14:27:18

That is a lot to avoid. Yes, dried figs are high in calcium. Hadn't heard about the beans myself. Will go and look that up so that I can add them to my limited diet smile

ShineSmile Thu 05-Jun-14 17:17:01

Thanks Smiling!

Do you mind if I ask why you thought it was lactose intolerance? I ask because I suspect my DD might be too, though she has CMPA too.

SmilingandWaving Thu 05-Jun-14 18:02:06

DS was still BFing until he was about 18 months and once we stopped he had really horrible diarrhoea (tmi!). When I took him to the doctor they said lactose intolerance so we went dairy free. It just got worse though, although he eczema completely cleared up.

When we saw a nutritionist she suggested 'non specific toddler diarrhoea'. Which basically boils down to an immature digestive system. Being dairy free had made it worse as it meant he was getting too much fibre & not enough fat in his diet. He still suffers a bit now at 3 if we don't watch how much fruit & veg (as if!) he's eating.

It sounds as if you might be having other issues that we weren't though if you're having to cut out wheat & soya.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now