My buttery biscuit base always falls apart

(13 Posts)
msrisotto Mon 26-May-14 21:24:19

I follow recipes and everything. So why does the base crumble so badly? It makes serving up incredibly messy. Can anyone advise me?

mrsmopps Tue 27-May-14 14:52:00

Sorry no advice but will be watching this thread as I have the same problem.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Tue 27-May-14 14:54:21

More butter. It's to dry and not binding properly.

msrisotto Tue 27-May-14 21:25:07

Thank you lawyer. I did try putting a knob more butter in than the recipe suggested but maybe even more is needed.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Tue 27-May-14 22:07:48

Or less biscuit.

Virginiaplain1 Tue 27-May-14 22:19:06

Yes, more butter. I find that most recipes do not use enough. Spread the biscuit mix over the base of the tin and press down really well - I use my knuckles. Then refrigerate for long enough for the butter to harden and bind it all together. I love biscuit base!

PeanutButterAndMarmite Thu 29-May-14 08:54:54

Mix biscuits in food processor until they turn into fine powder. Melt the butter (you probably need more than you've been using) and add a spoon of golden syrup. Mix well and press firmly down in a tin (knuckles or a potato masher work well), then refrigerate for as long as possible before adding the topping.

If I am doing it in the food processor, I blitz up the biscuits and then just add softened butter and blitz again, instead of adding melted butter and mixing it in. PB&M is right about pressing it down really firmly - but I hadn't come across her tip of adding golden syrup - that sounds luscious, and I will be giving it a go, the next time I make a cheesecake.

msrisotto Thu 29-May-14 12:03:08

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it another go.

Yes, mrsrisotto - you must now make cheesecake, in order to test our advice. In fact, you might need to make more than one, so you can compare and contrast the results. Oh Unkind Fate! grin

justcallmethefixer Thu 29-May-14 12:20:27

Are you using actual butter, or a butter type spread? Real butter will set firmer as spread is designed to er spread

msrisotto Thu 29-May-14 14:18:16

I do have a habit of using marg and not thinking that it won't set. I didn't do that last time though because due to previous failures I was determined to follow the damn recipe to the letter.

I'm not actually the biggest fan of cheesecake. I have perfected the art of chocolate tarts though (perfect if you don't mind crumbly bases mind)!

2kidsintow Thu 29-May-14 14:25:38

Proper butter and chocolate digestives always gives a crisp and crunchy base . You don't particulately notice the chocolate, it just helps it set more.

I use the quantities from the BBC food baileys cheesecake recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now