Minion cupcakes... HOW?

(20 Posts)
tethersend Tue 13-May-14 18:57:58

I want to make some like this for DD2's birthday. The actual cakes aren't a problem, but have no idea where to start with decoration.

What do I need? Marzipan? Sugar paste? Fondant? What do I do with it?

I have gel food colouring and a useless fine art degree.

Please help me.

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Tue 13-May-14 20:05:24

Those look like fondant/sugarpaste in yellow (or purple) / black / white / grey (silver), plus probably an edible marker pen in black.

You roll out the yellow sugarpaste and cut a circle that will fit on top of the cupcakes, then smooth the yellow circles on. Then cut out the other bits (eyeballs and goggle frames using small circular cutters, straps using knife) and assemble.

tethersend Tue 13-May-14 20:07:56

Thank you smile

So... You can buy coloured sugarpaste? Or fondant? Or do I need to colour it myself?

And edible marker pens? They exist? That's BRILLIANT! Where can I get one?

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Tue 13-May-14 20:11:11

Yes -- do you have a cake decorating supply store near you? I am lucky and have one within walking distance and another larger one a bus ride away, but if there's a reasonably-sized town near you there is almost certainly one there.

tethersend Tue 13-May-14 20:41:27

I have no idea.

I live in east London and work in north London... I will google.

What do I need? Could you help me compile a shopping list for 24 cakes?

Thanks again smile

Catsmamma Tue 13-May-14 20:46:12

hobbycraft have all this malarkey...last time i was in all their fondant was 3 for 2.

you'd not need loads.

tethersend Tue 13-May-14 22:25:57

Great, thanks Catsmama- have just ordered a shitload grin

nannycook Wed 14-May-14 22:11:37

These are mine if its any help tethersend

tethersend Wed 14-May-14 22:17:23

Oooh, nannycook- those are FAB!

How did you stick the icing on? Did you use the ready to roll stuff?

nannycook Wed 14-May-14 22:35:42

I piped a swirl on first, then I used renshaw's fondant, I buy the big packs, to colour it I used yellow and abit of orange, cut out round discs using your cutters, cut smaller circles in white for the eyes, small circles in brown for the eyes then black bits, to put some grey around the eyes I have a clay extruder gun, but no probs if you dont have that, roll out some strands and wet the icing to stick that on.

Then some different style hair and mouths, there you have it.

Dontlaugh Wed 14-May-14 22:39:55

I have not lived.

Never, ever, have I felt so completely useless.
You are all amazing. Look at the hair, the HAIR! The eyes, the glasses.....

nannycook Wed 14-May-14 22:45:46

Have a go dontlaugh, they are simple when you start.

Dontlaugh Wed 14-May-14 22:47:24

Nannycook, you are sweet to say so, but please don't tease, they are so beyond me I may as well try a Peggy Porschen cake.

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 08:31:26

Yes but we all all need to start somewhere, and I really think this is something you could start on. Believe me when I look back at my cakes at the beginning 2 yrs ago, I cringe, but it started me off and made
me think, hey I can do this!! Now I make several cakes and also wedding cakes, I make mistakes a lot but I learn everytime and think, wont do that again!

Dontlaugh Thu 15-May-14 11:31:44

Thank you nanny cook, what a lovely message.
I may try these after all!

TwigletFiend Thu 15-May-14 12:13:07

Dontlaugh, break them down into shapes - honestly, easier than you think! A circle for the yellow 'face', a circle or a little sausage for the mouth, a rectangle for the straps etc.

If you're not that experienced with icing, I'd buy ready-coloured - much easier to get a consistent colour that way and colouring white icing black can be hard without it tasting revolting.

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 20:06:05

Oh God yes, even I buy ready coloured black, the Times I've gone to work with multi coloured hands I dread to think.

tethersend Sun 18-May-14 09:26:16

Thank you all smile

Thought I'd show you the finished product.

Jinglebells99 Sun 18-May-14 09:31:14

Wow, they are amazing tethersend smile and Dru (?) is incredible !

tethersend Sun 18-May-14 09:48:04

Thanks Jinglebells- bizarrely, Gru was the easiest one confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now