1st birthday cake

(30 Posts)
SweetPeaPods Mon 12-May-14 09:55:47

I would really like to make my ds's 1st birthday cake. Only prob is it will be my first ever birthday cake! But I've got to start somewhere right and will have a practice go so I can eat more cake
I've seen the number 1 cake tins, how easy are these to use (remove cake from) and decorate? If I used a sheet of possibly ready made fondant icing are they easy enough to put round edges or should I stick to a round cake tin? Any tips very gratefully received

TwigletFiend Mon 12-May-14 12:29:35

The cake moulds are pretty easy to use, just make sure it's thoroughly greased and get a fairly simple shaped one so you can line the bottom to start with. Decorating-wise, again try to go for a fairly square, straight-sided tin - fondant icing is pretty easy to use but if you don't have a silicone mat to roll out on, you'll need to be really careful it doesn't stick when you're rolling out. Keep turning it and make sure you've got a good dusting of icing sugar underneath - don't turn it over though obviously! Maybe pick a coloured icing too, as white can be a bit unforgiving and marks easily. Have fun! smile

Angelto5 Mon 12-May-14 12:37:05

A little off topic but have u heard of a bash cake???

nannycook Wed 14-May-14 22:15:30

Sweetie, you can hire the tin for a quid, I did it with this cake, it took a 6 egg mix.

nannycook Wed 14-May-14 22:15:51

Sweetpea

sharond101 Wed 14-May-14 22:20:16
SweetPeaPods Thu 15-May-14 08:29:36

I've decided to go for a round cake. Not sure on topping or middle yet. Do I have to do jam or could I just do butter icing?
Not sure yet whether to do fondant icing on top or butter or glacé. Fondant would look better but more work I feel. Also need to decide whether to do vanilla or choc cake!

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 09:22:09

You do want what you want to do, I guess jam goes with buttercream more.

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 09:22:17

You do want what you want to do, I guess jam goes with buttercream more.

SweetPeaPods Thu 15-May-14 20:05:54

Ok DH has now suggested either choc cake or red velvet.
I've bought SR sponge flour but notice a lot of recipes suggest plain plus a raising agent. Is one better than the other?
Also, is the cake better made in 1 large cake tin then sliced in half or 2 sandwich tins? Thanks

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 20:09:33

Most people use s/r four, but again its up to you, I never ever use plain, just my preference.

Have you ever made red velvet cake? Not one to practise on I dont think, but saying that you wont know till you try.

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 20:11:05

Ooo sorry half replied. I make every cake in 2 stages, from 12inches to 8, find it cooks better.

SweetPeaPods Thu 15-May-14 20:15:50

That's good to know thanks. Do you think choc cake will be ok? With maybe vanilla buttercream? or I could just stick to vanilla sponge.

SweetPeaPods Thu 15-May-14 20:17:48

Nanny meant to say your 1 cake looks amazing. How did you do that? Is it vanilla sponge with fondant icing? Did you put buttercream under the fondant?

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 21:06:35

Thank you sweetpea. Choc cake and babies, mmm, up to you, but need loads of wet wipes maybe.

That was a lemon sponge, I filled it with lemon curd and lemon buttercream, you have to crumb coat first for a smooth finish, then cover with fondant.

SweetPeaPods Thu 15-May-14 21:15:16

You mention it was a 6 egg mix? Do you have the recipe still by any chance?
How do I crumb coat? I really know less than I thought!!

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 22:13:45

Sweetpea, its 6 eggs and 12ozs of everything, 2tsp of baking powder, add everything into mixer ( if you have one) its a lot of mixture by hand if you dont and beat for two mins,this amount of cake mixture is for this size tin though, you need to line your tin with baking paper or you may have a problem getting it out, and cook for 45/50 mins gas 3/ 160/325. You crumb coat it for the fondant to stick to the cake, you put a very thin layer of buttercream over your filled cake and smooth over, it basically means to seal in the crumbs, so your fondant looks nice and smooth when you put that on. You may find YouTube very helpful for the basics, I use it regularly, I have 8 cakes in two weeks time so believe me I will be using it a lot.

SweetPeaPods Thu 15-May-14 22:22:16

8 cakes wow!!
No mixer sadly. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to look for a one tin if not just do a boring round one.

nannycook Thu 15-May-14 22:37:10

Yes, dont know what my thinking is to be honest, I partime 2mths ago so I could do make my cakes, but still alot to do and not getting any younger.

Dont you have a cake Dec shop near you where you can hire those tins for a day, that what did.

SweetPeaPods Thu 15-May-14 22:48:50

Not sure to be honest, there must be one somewhere. The only one I can think of though is Lakeland! I'll have a google. Thanks again and good luck! I'm sure I'll think of more questions!

nannycook Fri 16-May-14 07:38:49

Anytime sweetpea. Let me know how you get on. Maybe if your not used to covering cakes with fondant probably best to stick to something simple, dont stress yourself out, or you wont want to do it again and thats a shame if you have young children.

jammietart Fri 16-May-14 07:44:41

this is a very easy but very fab chocolate cake
reciperifle.blogspot.com/2013/02/another-chocolate-cake.html

just made it for DS birthday and cut a stencil of his name out and did that in 100s and 1000s but equally you could do a figure 1. you can do it in any old tin - i used a 20in round. its a very big cake!!

SweetPeaPods Thu 22-May-14 14:51:13

Ok round 8" cake made and crumb coating done. Will attempt the fondant coating later. Still not decided whether to keep it white or add blue gel. Very very nervous about the fondant but have 2 weeks till bday so plenty of time for practice!

nannycook Thu 22-May-14 20:17:04

Halfway there now sweetpea, dont be nervous about the fondant, make sure you knead it first, and make sure its thick enough when rolled out, about 1/4 " thick, yes it is that thick, lay it over and gently smooth down, all the way neatly to the edge, trim off with knife or pizza wheel, smooth over the top and sides with a smoother, you may have the odd air bubble, use I pin and prick.

nannycook Thu 22-May-14 20:18:14

What colour are you doing lettering, bits and bobs etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now