Leftover chocolate ganache and caramel sauce

(9 Posts)
TheMD Tue 25-Mar-14 19:13:16

I have about half a cup of each left over from various things I baked over the weekend and I can't bear to throw them awaysad

Can I maybe add some alcohol/nuts/whatever to the ganache and would that result in truffles? I know I can have the caramel sauce with ice cream etc but I don't buy plain ice cream - B&G with the sauce might give me a heart attack right there...

I'll be grateful for any ideas!

Mogz Tue 25-Mar-14 21:43:29

Surely you just attack with a spoon. Maybe a decent romcom?
Not sure about the ganache but the caramel sauce should freeze ok so you can save it until you bake again. It's really nice in an apple crumble, layered over the fruit and under the crumb.

ArtisanScotchEgg Tue 25-Mar-14 21:45:15

Surely you just need a spoon and some privacy? Perhaps some ice cream if you insist.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Tue 25-Mar-14 21:46:46

I don't understand? Left over? What is this concept?

WaitingForMe Tue 25-Mar-14 21:49:01

I opened this thread on the basis of being hormonal.

Mumsnet needs to figure out a way for stuff like this to be sent via the internet. You know, like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the TV chocolate?

cakewitch Tue 25-Mar-14 21:56:33

Beat some soft butter into it all. makes an amazing frosting.

TheMD Wed 26-Mar-14 20:18:05

Mogz - thanks ever so much for the crumble idea - I wouldn't have thought of that! Would probably make a nice barrier between the crumble (of which I make a lot) and the fruit. Otherwise there's always that soggy middle bit..

Artisan - did think of that but have a house full of guests all week. Damn them.

Waiting - I'd LOVE to send it over! Should've probably posted this on my local group so some other hormonal soul could pick it up.

Cakewitch - there's already a fair amount of butter in them both....more butter? grin

Pinkfizzy Wed 26-Mar-14 21:15:48

Truffles very easy, just stiffen with dried fruit, roll into balls & dust with cocoa powder. You could probably mix the two together with largish salt crystals and make salted caramel truffles? Bet they won't last long! Ooh and you could add the very light dehydrated raspberry or strawberry or mango bits or popping candy to enliven their texture.

I think that the ganache will keep for a while in an airtight jar in fridge for use as an indulgent chocolate spread, maybe with peanut butter?

Seminyak Fri 28-Mar-14 09:10:09

OMG I had this exact same situation last night!! How funny.

I am loathe to throw things away but did because I can't have tasty things in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now