Pastry for lemon meringue pie - rookie question

(6 Posts)
MabelBee Sat 08-Mar-14 13:52:17

I am making this lemon meringue pie for Sunday lunch tomorrow:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3482/ultimate-lemon-meringue-pie

Stupid question... It says I can blind bake the pastry a day before so I was going to do that this afternoon and make the filling tomorrow. I just don't know how to store the baked pastry. Do I put it back in the fridge? Or just covered but at room temperature?

MabelBee Sat 08-Mar-14 13:52:41
mateysmum Sat 08-Mar-14 13:58:10

I would probably out it in an airtight container at room temp. Fridge would be ok, but I there's a chance the pastry might go a bit soggy. you don't need to fridge it to keep it fresh. My preference would probably be to make the pastry case the day before and put it in the fridge raw, then bake it the day I plan to eat it.

MabelBee Sat 08-Mar-14 14:05:36

Thanks mateysmum. I'll just do it tomorrow morning to be safe. Is the recipe I posted for a shortcrust pastry?

mateysmum Sat 08-Mar-14 14:16:15

It is a very rich shortcrust pastry. The egg and the sugar may make it a bit hard to handle, so don't be surprised if it sticks and breaks. Make sure it is well chilled before you roll it out.

A standard shortcrust would be 1/2 the weight of fat (normally butter) to flour, mixed with approx 1tblsp of water per 2oz flour (till it forms a ball - but not sticky)and if you like sweetened with a bit of icing sugar as in your recipe.

Good luck. Save me a piece grin

MabelBee Sat 08-Mar-14 14:31:06

I think I'm quite possibly going to struggle to even save a piece for the guests. Might just bake it and shove my whole face in it...ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now