Anyone left bread dough to rise overnight in fridge?

(8 Posts)
pimskie Fri 07-Mar-14 11:47:04

How long and did you need to adjust baking times and temperature? Would love to bake fresh bread in the morning but with all the rising it always takes me hours!

nicename Fri 07-Mar-14 11:48:54

My sister leaves it out in the cold (she is in Northern Scotland, so no problem there) overnight and the cooking times seem to be the same. When I make a bloomer it I start early morning (a long first rise) and its ready for dinner time!

aliciagardner Fri 07-Mar-14 11:53:30

Yes. No need to adjust baking time. I leave out overnight in the kitchen covered with a tea towel as it's been cold, not tried the fridge but would guess it's the same.

MissPearl Fri 07-Mar-14 12:03:28

Yes.works fine but you need to get it out first thing and let it warm up a bit so is easier to "knock back".Then shape leave to prove for about 60mins and bake as usual.

I've left bread out overnight, in a very cold place, not fridge. Agree MissPearl.
Let things warm up before knocking back and giving it a good old thump.

TheMD Tue 25-Mar-14 19:15:13

Like the others said - works absolutely fine. Some chefs actually think this method of proving improves the taste of the finished product but I personally can't taste the difference. Leave in room temp for an hour or so before knocking back.

Breadandwine Sun 30-Mar-14 11:48:21

IMO, you're just as well to leave it overnight on the worktop - no need then to bring it back to room temp.

I have a recipe on my blog for overnight, no-knead bread which takes less than 10 minutes of an evening and just a few minutes in the morning.

The increase in flavour comes from the amount of time that yeast and flour have to mature together. So overnight proving - or leaving it all day - does the job fine.

MothershipG Sun 30-Mar-14 11:59:44

Leaving it overnight definitely improves the flavour, if you leave it at room temp you need to reduce the amount of yeast by at least a half, or use normal amount of yeast and put it in the fridge.

I use this method for making fresh cinnamon buns, do the first rise as usual, make up the rolls and put them in the tin in the fridge overnight, then take them out the next morning while the oven is heating up, delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now