Gluten free celebration cake.

(8 Posts)
nannycook Mon 03-Mar-14 16:32:37

Quick question, I've only ever made Gf cupcakes before, this time I've been asked to make a 10 inch birthday cake, with the cupcakes I remember it said the creaming method and I normally make it all in one, does it matter because its GF ? Does it have to be the creaming method? I don't want to mess it up as the flour is expensive enough as it is.

ParsleyTheLioness Tue 04-Mar-14 08:00:46

I don't know the answer to this, but will ask my friend who is gluten intolerant This will also give you a little bumpy anyhoo.

nannycook Tue 04-Mar-14 09:00:37

Thanks parsley, I make loads of cakes but always with s/r flour.

ParsleyTheLioness Tue 04-Mar-14 13:13:57

I have sent her a FB link.

nannycook Wed 05-Mar-14 07:47:18

Parsley, I made as a trial yesterday using he all in one method, beat it for 2 mins as I do all my cakes, it didn't rise as much as the normal self raising, we did taste it and its absolutely fine.

ParsleyTheLioness Wed 05-Mar-14 08:00:38

Oh good! Just sent her a text before I saw this, as she may have been doing RL stuff.

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Mar-14 08:02:37

It doesn't make much difference, but I do think creaming makes a better rise, and as gf cakes don't rise as much it does help.
I add a little extra baking powder and a teaspoon full of glycerine per 2 eggs - the glycerine keeps the cake really moist

nannycook Wed 05-Mar-14 13:00:28

Thanks both, the trial run cake I made yesterday was for a 10inch so I used a 4 egg mix, your right it doesn't rise as much, but I took it into work and they all said how fab it was, lasted all of 2 hrs. So will do thats again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now