Celebration cake need to bake this weekend, to be eaten next weekend Help!

(24 Posts)
Ineedanewone Fri 28-Feb-14 21:41:58

Hi all MN bakers,
It's a significant birthday for my lovely Mum next weekend and I shall be making a cake, that I can decorate, probably with ready to roll icing and flowers, but I need a recipe that will taste great if made this weekend to be eaten or at least cut next Saturday. I was thinking about an almond type recipe, as doubt a rich fruit would not be ready in time, but also open to all suggestions.
Any ideas? ( I' m a confident cook if that helps)
Thanks

nannycook Fri 28-Feb-14 21:57:05

Kneed, why don't you make it nearer to next weekend, personally I wouldn't bake a cake to decorate next week, unless you mean your freezing it first.

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Feb-14 21:59:20

Make it this week end, ice it when you need it. I do this with maderia cake for the DC's birthdays pretty often.

Ineedanewone Fri 28-Feb-14 22:00:35

Time will be against me sadly and I won't be at home all week before the party ( 140 miles away) that's why I need a cake that will stay moist.

SavoyCabbage Fri 28-Feb-14 22:03:11

A fruit cake would be ok.

What I would do it measure all the ingredients out this weekend and then do it one night nearer the time. It doesn't need to take ages. You could do buttercream icing as you can practically throw it on and put flowers on the top. Use a silicone 'tin' and it's even easier.

SavoyCabbage Fri 28-Feb-14 22:03:55

X post. Nigella's dense chocolate loaf keeps really well.

Ineedanewone Fri 28-Feb-14 22:04:05

Thanks Bikerinski, I've done a madeira, but years ago, and can't remember if they dry out quickly. Do you freeze or keep in an airtight tin?

Spadgey Fri 28-Feb-14 22:05:35

Can't you make it and freeze it?

Ineedanewone Fri 28-Feb-14 22:07:34

Spade I was planning on baking and decorating this weekend and won't be able to freeze an iced cake if you see what I mean

nannycook Fri 28-Feb-14 22:08:09

Its up to you I guess, I makes cakes to sell and yes I know you can make them several days in advance and I have made them up to 3 days ahead but the fondant seals them and keeps them moist, would you buy a cake from a shop that was a week old, I dunno its your call.

Ineedanewone Fri 28-Feb-14 22:13:33

Nanny, that's my worry, as I wouldn't usually make a Victoria type recipe and expect it to keep well for a week, even if using butter, but I just won't have the opportunity to bake and decorate closer to the date, do you have a 'longershelf life 'fall back recipe?

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Feb-14 22:19:02

I do a Madeira cake and freeze it until the day before I need it, then ice whilst it is still frozen. He big said that, it is a dense, moist cake and I reckon it'd be ok in an airtight tin for a week.

Ineedanewone Fri 28-Feb-14 22:24:04

I might do that Bike as I could take it with me to decorate on the day at my Mum's. ( Just have squeeze it in between catering for 30 guests and keeping my Mum chilled grin ) Will resort to prosecco!

ScreamingNotWaving Fri 28-Feb-14 22:30:39

Make a Madeira, wrap tightly in cling film and store until you ice it. It improves with age, and is meant to be stored for a bit. It is 'structured' enough to hold up the weight of the icing and decorations, a Victoria sponge, although tasty, is too fluffy to cope! Good luck!

ScreamingNotWaving Fri 28-Feb-14 22:35:27

And, I forgot to say, Madeira tastes lovely! I worried about all the citrus flavours but it's really good.

LyndaCartersBigPants Fri 28-Feb-14 22:57:52

Be aware that if you ice it while frozen it may cause some condensation on the outside of the icing as it defrosts, so any colours may run. Might be worth defrosting the day before and icing it once defrosted.

nannycook Fri 28-Feb-14 23:17:20

Kneed, do you have a good Madeira recipe? Will give you one if you want, I used to make Madeira all the time until I changed to simple Victoria sponge, which I love and as faraway icing and decorations are concerned its fine, just made a birdcage( cant upload pic on my profile yet as they're having technical issues) but all the cakes on my profile are Victoria sponge.

Ineedanewone Sat 01-Mar-14 09:20:13

Hi Nanny,
I was going to use the Leiths Baking Bible one, but just looked at Mary Berry's and her one has 25% more flour, so would appreciate your view, thanks

nannycook Sat 01-Mar-14 15:18:16

I have to be honest you cant go wrong with good ole MB , I use her choc sponge recipe most of the time as she mixes her cocoa powder to a paste first, always well, I'm guessing she's using more flour to turn it into Madeira. Just had a conversation with the person I made the birdcage for which I made last Monday and iced it Tuesday and she picked it up on Wed, now apparently she wont cut it cos its beautiful,( her words) I told her she has to eat it as it wont be fresh , all that work and she wont cut it, grrr.

Ineedanewone Sat 01-Mar-14 20:05:07

Thanks Nanny,
I always trust her too, and my best friend knows her personally and says she's just great in real life!

Ineedanewone Sat 01-Mar-14 20:08:13

She also told my mate to always choose Bourneville for the best baking chocolate. I use Aldi's plain choc equivalent and it never fails for ganache and truffle cakes.

Ineedanewone Sat 01-Mar-14 20:09:12

Loads cheaper than Menier and the like too.

nannycook Sat 01-Mar-14 22:17:58

I use that too if its on offer in Asda other than that like you theres nowt wrong with Aldi's own.

Midori1999 Sun 02-Mar-14 07:41:25

Either fruit cake, or Mich Turners carrot cake or chocolate truffle cake have a two week shelf life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now