Sifting Flour

(7 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 22-Feb-14 08:49:05

On the Mary Berry questions thread one poster has said that modern flour doesn't need to be sifted before you use it, you can just throw it in the bowl. Is this true? I didn't want to ask in that thread as it is supposed to just be questions for Mary. So apologies for a fred about a fred.
I am too scared just to throw my flour in the bowl in case I get a lumpy cake. Does anyone know for sure?

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 22-Feb-14 08:57:46

I always sift for things like Victoria sponge but never bother with other types

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 22-Feb-14 08:58:15

But why not ask Mary?

HermioneWeasley Sat 22-Feb-14 08:58:44

Not necessary IMO

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Sat 22-Feb-14 09:09:45

I can't ask Mary, I am ashamed of my ignorance. blush

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 22-Feb-14 19:46:13

I read somewhere that you sift flour + rising agents together, several times, to make muffins, for that the dry stuff gets evenly mixed and then when you add to the liquids you don't need to overmix.

So I only sift if things have to be mixed quickly, ie, muffins. wink

I really don't think it's necessary. It doesn't add air (how would it?!) but it probably did make cakes lighter pre-modern flour by making sure all the lumps were removed. These days flour doesn't have lymps because of anti-clumping agents, ergo sifting is pointless. Well I think so anyway and I make bloody lovely cakes grin

Do sift icing sugar though; that shit gets really lumpy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now