Easy impressive looking cake

(14 Posts)
Nojustalurker Sat 15-Feb-14 11:32:04

We are off for Sunday dinner to the Pil tomorrow. We go about every 4 week. I have been bringing a cake every week, nothing exciting. Has anybody got any suggestings of an easy, impressive looking cake. I need to buy butter so have to nip to shops anyway. Fil does not like nuts.

One trick to make a cake look impressive is to make it a 3 layer cake rather than 2.

jojane Sat 15-Feb-14 11:39:09

Chocolate indulgence no bake cheescake, I have yet to find anyone who dosent like it and everyone always requests I make it.
Choc bourbon base, cream cheese, melted choc and bit of cream for middle and choco sauce topping, choc if gets around the edge and whatever choc you like on top (milky way stars, maltesers etc)

GingerMaman Sat 15-Feb-14 11:50:19

If you want to make it really easy:

Buy a Betty Crocker chocolate pack. Bake that. Make some buttercream/buy ready made. Spread it all over. Place raspberries on top. Will look great. Could add chocolate fingers to the side if you can be bothered/have time.

GingerMaman Sat 15-Feb-14 11:51:54

See this:

http://www.sundaybaking.co.uk/really-easy-chocolate-rainbow-smarties-cake/

Replace smarties with raspberries

Giddygrandma Sat 15-Feb-14 12:08:54

Old fashioned chocolate cake by Nigella, it's amazing and simple ingredients, I imagine the only thing you'll need that's not in your cupboard is sour cream, (and the butter!).

The recipe is on line (Google search).

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 15-Feb-14 12:11:36

chocolate finger cakes look pretty impressive - I make them for bdays grin

basic sponge then cover in buttercream and stick choc finger/kit kats all round outside then chocs on top eg grated chocolate/m&ms/smarties grin

sarahandduck Sat 15-Feb-14 12:13:29

This one by Lorraine pascale is fab....http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/i_cant_believe_you_made_90494

sarahandduck Sat 15-Feb-14 12:13:42
Nojustalurker Sat 15-Feb-14 15:27:25

Thanks for all your ideas.

I have decide I am not competent or have enough energy to do impressive so instead I am going to do this recipe instead.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2973693/mary-berrys-orange-layer-cake

StopSquabbling Sat 15-Feb-14 15:31:26

This cake is easy peasy and looks amazing.

Nojustalurker Sat 15-Feb-14 16:13:50

That looks fab. Think I will keep the recipe for Easter.

If your successful with the orange cake, next time, make it without the orange juice, but put in a couple of tablespoons of cocoa, and a little milk.

Then make half a recipies worth of either orange or plain cake.

Sandwich with the same butter icing she uses (without orange if you made a plain cake above!), choc/white/choc, and also cover the sides with icing. Looks amazing when you cut in due to the color change.

elsielegallez Sat 15-Feb-14 19:03:26

Like the chocolate finger cake - this chocolate and raspberry KitKat cake is really easy but looks amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now