What to bake for school coffee morning?

(13 Posts)
UntamedShrew Tue 04-Feb-14 13:51:11

I am hosting one next week and wondered what you think I should provide? It is straight after drop off, and there will be a few toddlers brought along (so nothing very chocolatey or messy).

Would you rather have a breakfast muffin type thing or a piece of cake or something biscuity? Any recipe ideas?

Thank you!

whatsagoodusername Tue 04-Feb-14 14:14:47

I'd want cake grin

I have a recipe for "coffee cake" if you want it - no coffee in it, has a cinnamon mixture top. It is supposed to go well with coffee. I don't drink coffee so not sure how well it goes, but I love the cake!

UntamedShrew Tue 04-Feb-14 14:27:22

I was just thinking about a coffee cake (one with coffee in it) and then torn between that and a carrot cake...

DS2 doesn't like cinammon (and I'm hoping there will be some left for after school!) but thank you anyway smile

Ragwort Tue 04-Feb-14 14:28:43

Carrot cake sounds good so does coffee cake.

What about banana and honey loaf - that is always nice.

I seem to spend much of my time baking for school events and find anything lemony seems to be the most popular.
Whatsagoodusername could I have your cinnamon cake recipe please sounds good.

januaryjojo Tue 04-Feb-14 14:57:09

I'd say a lemon drizzle or a coffee cake.

this is a really nice coffee cake, it's sort if fudge cakey.

whatsagoodusername Tue 04-Feb-14 15:57:52

Onedifferentplanet - here it is:

Cream 50g butter
Beat in:
200g sugar
1 egg
Sift together:
200g flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Add to the first mixture alternately with
125ml milk
Spread in a buttered cake pan

Sprinkle cake batter with 2 tbsp melted butter, then a mixture of:
1.5 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp sugar

Bake for 20 minutes at 190C. Serve warm.

I usually mix additional melted butter with cinnamon and sugar, then drop lumps of it on the cake, which sink through and you get cinnamon sugar pockets throughout the cake. Put the dry mix on top, it gives it a lovely crust.

I also usually just throw it all in a bowl and mix instead of following the directions, turns out okay!

whatsagoodusername Tue 04-Feb-14 16:30:26

Sorry, forgot - also usually has a handful or two of chopped walnuts on the top. I don't add them due to allergies.

UntamedShrew Tue 04-Feb-14 21:52:05

Thank you, that coffee cake looks delicious - and quick!

perfectstorm Tue 04-Feb-14 21:57:32

Tana Ramsay's lemon drizzle recipe is, to my surprise, the best I've ever tasted. Absolute child's play to make, too; always a bonus.

cakehappy Sat 08-Feb-14 13:36:24

I'd definitely go for an American style coffee cake. It doesn't have coffee in it, it's meant to go WITH coffeesmile a rich vanilla style sponge with a cinnamon crumble on top, absolutely delish! Baked in a square pan so simple to dosmile

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 11-Feb-14 04:18:05

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coffee_and_walnut_cake_03763

Mary Berry's coffee & walnut cake, you can't have a coffee morning without coffee cake. Flap jacks or brownies would be equally accep
table.

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 11-Feb-14 21:48:16

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now