Well this is a revelation!

(8 Posts)
DrivingToDistraction Mon 27-Jan-14 14:04:23

I bake fairly often and am considered good at it and I always do my sponges properly, spending ages creaming butter and sugar etc. Since I got my Kitchenaid I could really spend a long time even on a Victoria sponge as I didn't have to stand there the whole time.

Yesterday, though, I decided at the last minute to have pudding after dinner, and in two minutes flat I glugged a load of golden syrup in the bottom of a tin, whacked all the sponge ingredients in the KA together and beat them hell for leather until it looked like cake mix, then whacked it in the oven at whatever temperature it was on at already. I also used Aldi baking spread instead of butter shock

I've just eaten the leftovers and blow me if it isn't the nicest, softest sponge ever. I mean, it's really good!

BackforGood Mon 27-Jan-14 14:15:26

Yum - making me hungry for a sponge pud now smile

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Tue 28-Jan-14 13:26:13

I use a Mary Berry sponge recipe from the BBC website where you pretty much chuck everything in like you did and it always comes out perfect.

addictedtosugar Tue 28-Jan-14 13:37:24

I'd always use marge in a sponge cake.
Its the only thing marge gets used for in this house.
The addition of a little baking powder in the all in one cake also helps.

DrivingToDistraction Tue 28-Jan-14 16:38:18

I did Mary Berry's lemon drizzle today the same way and it is sooooo light and delicious. The one thing I don't need is for cakes to be easier to make!

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Tue 28-Jan-14 17:20:01

I've always done this and have a reputation for making the best cakes. grin

nannycook Tue 28-Jan-14 20:54:19

Me too, always chucked everything in and beat together for 2mins, never have problems and i bake alot of cakes for people.

trufflehunterthebadger Tue 18-Feb-14 01:23:47

my sponge cakes are a fling-it together job with soft margarine and value flour. Never have any complaints from family or clients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now