How do I make whopping scones?

(17 Posts)
Teapot74 Mon 27-Jan-14 11:57:57

Followed a recipe yesterday. 225g sr flour, 40g butter, 150ml milk, 25g sugar, pinch of salt.
Made 8 scones. pushed gently to thickness of my hand. (just over if anything)
Admittedly put them in the wrong aga oven (baking not roasting)
They were v tasty. but didn't rise much at all.
What do I do for bigger ones? Double the thickness of the dough?

Teapot74 Mon 27-Jan-14 11:59:03

also used flat beater on kithenaid and think I should have used dough hook or would I be better off by hand?

oadcb Mon 27-Jan-14 11:59:53

Following!

Trills Mon 27-Jan-14 12:01:26

Scones don't generally rise much, do they? If they rose too much the texture would be more cakey and less sconey.

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Mon 27-Jan-14 12:02:25

I use Delia's recipe, and even though she says to use SR flour mine didn't rise the first time. Now I whack in some baking powder and they rise beautifully. I make sure they are about 3cm thick when I cut them, and they rise to about 6cm, so plenty of scone to cut in half and butter.

figgypuddings Mon 27-Jan-14 12:02:39

Cut them very thick - about 1 1/2 inches. I found that using buttermilk to bind made them lighter.

guardian best scone recipe link

Scones need minimal mixing - fat rubbed into flour by hand then quick addition of the liquids.

I use the rachel allen recipe with extra cream of tarter, and they rise beautifully.

I am from Devon, prefer no fruit in them, no butter on top and jam OVER the cream.

I make brilliant scones. They rise whether I make them by hand or use the food processor to crumble the flour and butter. But it's the recipe - not my baking prowess! I use a Nigella recipe called 'Lily's Scones' and it includes bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar. If you are using 500g plain flour, the recipe says to use 2 tsp bicarb and 4 1/2tsp cream of tartar. I think that's too much and have cut it down to 3 tsp cream of tartar. The scones rise every time.

Yep, SR flour, and raising agent (bicarb for me)

Yorky Mon 27-Jan-14 12:16:45

Just marking my place so we can have scones for after school snack one day this week!

OwlCapone Mon 27-Jan-14 12:18:15

Another vote for Nigella's scones.

nicename Mon 27-Jan-14 12:23:36

bicarb - and stand well back!

Teapot74 Mon 27-Jan-14 12:27:34

Could someone post a link to the Nigella recipe as I found a couple

crashbangboom Mon 03-Feb-14 19:48:39

Bumping for anymore...

chemenger Mon 03-Feb-14 19:56:49

I also use Nigella's Lily's Scones recipe, it always comes out well. Mix as little as possible by hand, if you overwork when the liquid is added they don't rise well. I use the full amount of cream of tartar which does seem like a lot, but they work. They need to be rolled out thick as the previous posters said.

hudyerwheesht Sun 06-Apr-14 11:26:50

Marking place as longing for big fluffy scones instead of the small hard disappointments I tend to produce....

have4goneinsane Wed 21-May-14 11:11:39

I just use SR flour, butter/margarine and then a little milk (they taste eurgh with bicarb IMHO)

The trick is to handle it all as little as possible - rub butter into flour and then bind with milk - just use the tips of your fingers to gather together and knead as little as possible until you have a coherent ball, then flatten gently with the heel of your hand until you have the right thickness. I expect my scones to almost double in height, they should be absolutely feather-light

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now