Best ever chocolate cake recipe please!

(24 Posts)
Back2Basics Tue 21-Jan-14 21:30:13

I normally make chocolate cakes doing a 8oz mix and substituting an ounce of flour with an ounce of coco powder.

Whenever I've followed a chocolate cake recipe they flop. Have a really nice recipe which involves adding melted chocolate but it sinks.

So tried and tested best ever recipe for chocolate cakes or muffins please grin

plantsitter Tue 21-Jan-14 21:35:21

I recently made this. Yummy, dead easy and looks lovely!

AliceAirhead Tue 21-Jan-14 21:41:45

Easy all-in-one chocolate cake. Have made many a chocolate cake in my time and this beats all the others hands down.

Put into mixing bowl:
175g butter, diced (soft /room temp)
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs
150g sifted sponge flour
25g cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix with electric hand whisk for few mins until all well combined. Divide between two greased and lined cake tins and bake at 180c for 25 mins.

If you are feeling extravagant, this is fabulous Chocolate Brownie Gateau. It was originally in BBC Good Food mag about 20 years ago, I made it for my birthday once. Not an every day sort of cake, but great for a special occasion.

Back2Basics Tue 21-Jan-14 21:45:49

Alice that's basically what I do already, want a more rich choclately one iykwim.

Plant sitter I will try that one, although sounds almost the same as the one I tried that sunk!

Why is it most of the online recipes I've seen is made with plain flour?

Back2Basics Tue 21-Jan-14 21:46:58

Are not is, can tell I'm from the west country by my awful grammar blush

You can control the amount of raising agent more carefully with plain flour.

IceNoSlice Tue 21-Jan-14 21:52:42

This is making me hungry!! I just make a standard Be-Ro 4/4/4/2 recipe and sub a big spoon of flour for cocoa, then cover the cake in loads of melted cadburys dairy milk. Simples. But nowt special. Am liking the sound of the ones posted so far!

Millais Tue 21-Jan-14 21:52:51

This is the most amazing (and slightly disconcerting recipe) Everyone loves it and as it is gluten free it is always a winner at parties as it covers all bases!

Black bean chocolate cake shock
Makes 1 loaf
1 cup/240 g cooked black beans (or 1 400 g/14 oz can black beans, drained)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup/100 g sugar
3 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup/50 g dark chocolate 70%
1 tsp instant coffee or 1 espresso shot
1/2 vanilla pod, scraped
1 tsp baking powder
Juice and zest from 1/2 organic orange
A pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F/175 °C
2. In a blender combine all of the ingredients, except the dark chocolate. Blend until it is smooth and free of any lumps.
3. Pour the batter into a parchment lined loaf pan. And yes the batter is very liquid-y. Chop the dark chocolate and spread it across the surface, some of the chunks should fall into the batter or else help it with a teaspoon, in order to get chocolate inside the cake as well.
4. Bake the cake for approximately 35 min, and set a side to cool completely before removing it from the pan

Keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days- serve with cream

You can't beat the Be-Ro cookbook smile.

Millais Tue 21-Jan-14 21:56:42

Just looking back at it- I cut and pasted from my friend's email- not sure why the orange has to be organic- mine never are and it tastes just fine.

Back2Basics Tue 21-Jan-14 21:59:54

Oh that black bean one looks wicked, am adding a can of those and oranges to my shopping list for the weekend now,,

Gateau one looks very nice to.

I'm going to experiment and try them all <piggy face>

BrennanHasAMangina Tue 21-Jan-14 22:01:50

This one is practically perfect.

Back2Basics Wed 22-Jan-14 09:20:33

Brenna it looks lovely but where in the uk can you get buttermilk?

notso Wed 22-Jan-14 09:24:42

Most supermarkets sell buttermilk.

notso Wed 22-Jan-14 09:27:05

Posted too soon, or you can use half milk and half Greek yoghurt, or sour some milk (full fat is best) with white vinegar or lemon juice.

SaltyandSweet Wed 22-Jan-14 14:30:03

Nigella's old fashioned chocolate cake. So yummy and very easy to do

BrennanHasAMangina Wed 22-Jan-14 16:42:24

I hardly ever have buttermilk in the house so often use milk with a squeeze of lemon juice or milk with a bit of yogurt mixed in, milk with a tiny splash of vinegar or even just plain milk. They all work.

elsielegallez Mon 27-Jan-14 20:58:13
WipsGlitter Mon 27-Jan-14 21:03:21

I do a Mary berry one that's fab.

nannycook Mon 27-Jan-14 21:36:18

Back2 i've made 5 choc cakes in the last 3 weeks always use the same recipe and it never ever fails, whats different about to normal adding the dry cicia powder is you make a paste first with hot water, then add alk the other ingredients and mix well , i'd be happy to give you it uf you want.

Catsmamma Mon 27-Jan-14 21:41:01

this one is very quick to make...and very moist, and it keeps well

Moist Chocolate cake

i keep meaning to down size it a bit to see if it will work in sandwich tins, as this one needs a 9 inch tin really....the blog says it works. This one slices though once it is cold.

tb Thu 06-Feb-14 19:05:49

I wanted to make one with chocolate in it, and played around a little and now make one with

3 eggs, their weight ie 180g in castor sugar, butter, melted plain chocolate and plain flour with 3 tsp baking powder.

I add the chocolate after mixing the butter and sugar, and separate the eggs whisking the whites until stiff.

To cook it I divide it between 2 8" tins.

This is gorgeous Chocolate Chestnut Torte - it is really easy to make and very rich.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now