Pizza dough in a breadmaker

(12 Posts)
Foxsticks Wed 08-Jan-14 07:34:52

I got my Panasonic breadmaker just over a week ago and my goodness I love it!! I'm not sure about the pizza dough recipe though. It says bung everything in the breadmaker and the programme will take about 45 minutes. Then it says to remove the dough, flatten and shape it then leave to prove at 40° for 20 minutes. Our oven doesn't go that low and our kitchen is normally about 20°. Will this matter? Should I just leave it to prove for longer?

CambridgeBlue Wed 08-Jan-14 07:39:15

I make pizza dough often and have never given any thought to the temperature when it's proving, just bunged it all in, taken out the finished dough, shaped it and left it (think it goes under a tea towel). It doesn't rise loads but it's a pizza isn't it, so it doesn't seem to matter. It's really easy and makes the nicest pizzas we've ever had smile

I don't even do that. I bung it all in and forget about it until I need it. Then I take it out, shape it, whack the toppings on and bake. Success every time.

ivykaty44 Wed 08-Jan-14 07:43:23

I never usually prove the dough and we have delicious pizza, so don't worry��

Foxsticks Wed 08-Jan-14 07:45:12

Ah brilliant, thanks everyone! I was wondering if I'd have to faff around with proving in the airing cupboard or something.

Oh god no. Home made pizzas (with a bread maker) are the ultimate in no effort 'cooking'. And the kids think they're a great treat. Win win smile

CambridgeBlue Wed 08-Jan-14 13:04:52

Actually I don't know why I do the proving bit - as I said, not much seems to happen! Don't think I'll bother next time if everyone else's works without it.

Foxsticks Wed 08-Jan-14 16:46:25

I think I'm going to skip the proving then, I prefer thin crust anyway! One more question though, do you have to oil or flour the baking tray to stop the dough sticking?

Janek Wed 08-Jan-14 16:54:25

i've started using a silicon sheet as it makes washing up easier. it's nice to put a bit of flour under the pizza though, makes it more authentic i always think...

Foxsticks Wed 08-Jan-14 21:05:16

Aahhrrrggggghhh!! It was all sticky and kept on developing holes!!! There is obviously a technique to stretching the dough out that I don't yet have!

ivykaty44 Thu 09-Jan-14 20:39:20

I cover mine in flour and use a pin to roll
I isr a round tray with holes in, this gives a good base, you can buy them from tesco or Lakeland but tesco much cheaper than John lewis and no differentsmile

Foxsticks Thu 09-Jan-14 20:43:17

Thanks Ivy, I was trying to push the dough out with the heel of my hand as that's what the booklet said but I'll use my rolling pin next time. You can tell I'm new to bread can't you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now