Blind Baking Madness

(12 Posts)
Crowler Sun 05-Jan-14 23:35:57

I blind bake about 2x a year and every time I wind up picking burning hot pie weights out of the dough. Is there a better way?

I considered topping the dough with parchment and then putting the beads on top of that - would that work?

stella69x Sun 05-Jan-14 23:39:36

Yes, afaik you are supposed to use parchment - well I do and it comes out ok

Crowler Sun 05-Jan-14 23:41:42

So all this time I've skipped the critical step?

17leftfeet Sun 05-Jan-14 23:50:20

Piece of parchment

Scrunch it up into a ball then open it out

Place inside the pastry case then add beans and blind bake

Scrunching up the paper means it sits better in the case so the pastry doesn't rise round the edges of the base and you then get a more even filling

Crowler Sun 05-Jan-14 23:53:42

I'm an idiot. Thanks guys.

NoComet Mon 06-Jan-14 00:03:17

I'd forgotten about scrunching the paper. Makes it much softer, doesn't matter it's no longer totally non stick or waterproof as you just want it to prevent the OPs stuck bean (or in my house old rice) sticking problem.

Crowler Mon 06-Jan-14 00:12:52

I always scrunch the paper. Much better.

peeveddoesntcoverit Mon 06-Jan-14 18:34:10

I put cling film in first, then add the beads. I thought it would melt, but the couple of times I've tried it, it hasn't.

stella69x Sun 12-Jan-14 20:50:22

So scrunching the paper is better then? (Note to self- scrunch paper next time)

cakewitch Thu 16-Jan-14 22:06:02

Use scrunched up foil.

MoreBeta Thu 16-Jan-14 22:10:00

Use 1 pence coins not baking beans. The copper transmits heat better and they are cheaper. I have a big tin of 1 pence pieces in my cupboard for the job.

Definitely scrunch your parchment.

But out of date rice is free. (I had the grand idea I'd get round to making homemade rice pudding)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now