Out of date strong flour ok to use?

(14 Posts)
SolidGold Tue 17-Dec-13 22:56:28

We're going to make stollen tomorrow smile however my strong white flour was best before April 2013. Will it still be ok to use? I'm not usually a wimp about such things but don't want to waste all the other ingredients if its not going to be ok. On the other hand I hate throwing stuff away.

Tommy Tue 17-Dec-13 22:58:06

it will be fine
smile
IME

mousmous Tue 17-Dec-13 22:59:35

it will be fine.
unless it's crawling with maggots

SolidGold Tue 17-Dec-13 23:04:14

grin

ravenAK Tue 17-Dec-13 23:05:28

Check it's not wiggling - I had flour weevils once, ugh!

If it keeps still whilst you're weighing it, it's absolutely fine grin.

In fact I never buy IN date flour now - Approved Food all the way (they weren't responsible for the wiggly flour - that was years ago, & my fault for leaving a bag of flour in the cupboard of a slightly damp kitchen rather than decanting into a jar...)

DramaAlpaca Tue 17-Dec-13 23:10:10

Yes it will be fine as long as it doesn't have weevils. I had a whole cupboard infested with them once <shudder>

SolidGold Tue 17-Dec-13 23:55:33

Thanks. I'll check that it isn't wriggling before I use it grin

Sooooo ... Out of date dried fast action yeast ... Will that be ok too?

DramaAlpaca Wed 18-Dec-13 00:00:43

Not sure about the yeast - how out of date is it? It should be safe to use, but not sure if it'll still have the ability to make things rise.

SolidGold Wed 18-Dec-13 07:52:09

Strangely it also has a best before date of April 2013!

Any idea how long stollen will keep and can I freeze it?

NameoftheRose Wed 18-Dec-13 07:55:23

I wouldn't risk the yeast. I've had bad results with not long out of date yeast

SolidGold Wed 18-Dec-13 08:07:52

Thanks. I was thinking the same.

mousmous Wed 18-Dec-13 08:09:58

april is close enough.
I would risk it.
I only use dried active yeast, though,and there the 'best before' date doesn't really make a difference. (but I usually use the sponge method).

Blowninonabreeze Wed 18-Dec-13 08:12:32

Paul Hollywood made stollen on the christmas bake off special last night, and he said that, well wrapped, it would last for 6 days.
Looked gorgeous

SolidGold Wed 18-Dec-13 09:01:14

Yes this is dry yeast too, but the one labelled fast action.

It's the recipe from GBBO last night that I want to try. I missed him saying it will last six days. I might wait til the weekend then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now