When is the earliest I can bake the cake?

(13 Posts)
MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Tue 17-Dec-13 15:48:45

Doing a heart shaped sponge cake for dds birthday. I intend to put whipped cream and strawberries.in the middle and dust the top with icing sugar and edible glitter.

It will be served Thursday tea time. I.would like to.do.as much as possible.in advance. Could I bale the cake tonight or will it go stale?

Will add the strawberries and cream on the day.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Tue 17-Dec-13 17:07:58

Hopeful bump

whatsagoodusername Tue 17-Dec-13 17:49:29

I'd do it tomorrow night. It might be fine probably would be if stored well to do it tonight, but it would be very frustrating to go to add the strawberries and cream on the day and discover it was stale.

Moomoomie Tue 17-Dec-13 18:08:01

I agree with whatsa, sponge cake is always best eaten as fresh as possible.
If you really have to bake it tonight, make sure it is well wrapped and it will be fine, just won't taste quite as nice.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Tue 17-Dec-13 18:38:41

Its ok, I.will do it tomorrow night. Am just trying to be super organised. Dont want to compromise.on flavour though.

Can edible glitter be bought in the supermarket or will I need to go to Lakeland?

Moomoomie Wed 18-Dec-13 11:31:39

I've found loads of new decorations in Sainsburys recently, not totally sure about edible glitter but I reckon they sell it.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Wed 18-Dec-13 12:55:59

Thanks, managed to get some in Tesco along with some sicky on bits too. Im shite and icing so just going for a sponge with a filling.

Ive doubled up my quantities and its in the oven,.but not sure if the cooking time will be differebt?

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Wed 18-Dec-13 12:56:50

Should add, ive doubled the quantities as the silicone mould is massive!

Moomoomie Thu 19-Dec-13 08:44:03

Hope the cake turned out well. Not sure about the sicky on bits! grin
Hope your dd has a fantastic birthday.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Thu 19-Dec-13 08:46:54

hehe meant Sticky on bits blush went fine, icing later today. Eeek!

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Thu 19-Dec-13 08:47:15

When.I say icing I.mean sticky on bits

Moomoomie Thu 19-Dec-13 12:11:03

I am sure it will be lovely.

wonkylegs Thu 19-Dec-13 12:12:33

I always add a spoonful of jam to the cake mix (flavour matched to cake) and this keeps it nice & moist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now