Calling all kenwood bread-maker experts - gluten-free bread?

(9 Posts)
WhatHo Sun 15-Dec-13 14:00:23

I bought a bread machine a couple of weeks ago to make my DH gluten-free bread. The fact my and the DDs are getting lovely normal bread out of it is almost incidental grin

However I have not yet made a loaf of gluten-free bread that hasn't come out looking like cake and with the texture of concrete. I am using the correct gluten-free setting (12) but for some reason it isn't rising properly.

I've tried both bread mixes and from flour using the instructions on the flour packet and wasted SO MUCH flour. It's clearly not that the machine is broken as normal bread is fabulous, so I must be missing something.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the Kenwood website about it.

Does anyone else make gluten-free bread and might have ideas about why this is?

WhatHo Sun 15-Dec-13 23:06:24

bump

WhatHo Mon 16-Dec-13 16:23:28

another hopeful bump

MistyB Mon 16-Dec-13 16:28:41

I sold my bread maker as GF was horrible, not very helpful, sorry.

WhatHo Mon 16-Dec-13 23:14:36

Hum, yes, worrying rather than helpful!

WhatHo Mon 16-Dec-13 23:17:13

Thank you for responding though!

Jergens Mon 16-Dec-13 23:26:16

I wonder if adding a tsp of xanthan gum would help the crumb structure? I don't bake GF bread but I do bake a lot of GF cakes/scones/muffins and always add xanthan gum.

I have the same machine and baked some for a friend but can't remember the recipe I used. I did find this which sounds very familiar so might be worth a try. HTH

WhatHo Wed 18-Dec-13 15:26:35

I bought some (achingly expensive) gluten-free bread mix which worked and had anthem gum in it, so I'll try that, thank you jergens

2ofsteds I used that recipe from Doves farm and that's the one that wouldn't sodding rise! <sob> however makes me think I should tweet Doves Farm and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks so much both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now