Have you successfully made macarons?

(13 Posts)

I had my first go today. The mixture looked beautiful. I read loads of tips. I think I must have over mixed as they went flat and ran into each other. They also browned a bit which meant they didn't turn out pretty and pink. They also stuck to the parchment.

So a general failure.

I now need to decide whether to persevere or not. I've never made anything that turned out quite so badly before.

If you have made beautiful macarons, how long did it take you to perfect them?

I have a few times and was working towards achieving the perfect macaroon - but we have since moved and now have a terrible oven, so that project is on hold. My best ones involved adding powdered egg white, but can't remember any more than that!

I saw a recipe with powdered egg white today, but didn't have any. Perhaps I should get some.

ArtisanLentilWeaver Thu 12-Dec-13 00:34:43

Mary Berry mentioned something about tapping the tray a few times to get the air out of them?
I've never made them as they seem a bit complicated. Your next batch will be lovely!

I tapped the tray. And they did lose some air bubbles, but they spread out even more. I think it might have worked if I hadn't over mixed.

TotallyBursarforHogswatch Thu 12-Dec-13 15:21:29

My failsafe, always great, recipe uses half Swiss meringue style hot sugar, that's fairly common but what works depends on your recipe.

My tips:
Beat the 'meringue' until cool, don't mix it warm.
It should be slackened off but not loose by the end of mixing.
Pipe quickly, hold the bag gently.
Bang tray once or a couple of gentle taps, not the drop tray onto side banging multiple times whatsherchops did on telly (not Mary Berry before I get collared!)

Leave them alone. Totally ignore them for at least half an hour so they get the glossy skin that will form a good shell.

Once over mixed they just start farting out air so settling them doesn't get rid of big bubbles but all your wee ones & they sort of collapse. I had a bugger of a time when mixing too warm, it was too quick to over mix & then obviously it never is the same even if it firmsup.
I've got to make 200 of them for Christmas & will probably eat about 10 of them due to them doing weird stuff!

That's interesting - I didn't go for a recipe with hot sugar as it looked like a faff. I'll look again.

Strawberry Macaroons
Not sure if macaroons and macarons are the same thing but I made these last year and they worked well. Sieving the ground almonds was a pain but everything else was simple.

MoreBeta Thu 12-Dec-13 22:38:35

Never worked for me in a gas oven.

Got an electric one now and have heard that electric ovens are better for macaroons. It certainly works a lot better on my cakes and bread so am going to give macaroons a go next.

eurochick Fri 13-Dec-13 07:17:58

I make them quite a lot and don't find them particularly tricky. I don't use the hot sugar method.

I've made them again this weekend and they have turned out quite well. I think my initial batch were overmixed. Probably because I got quite confused about the instructions that they should flow like lava. I haven't got much experience of lava grin.

TheChineseLady Sun 15-Dec-13 23:26:54

Apparently you need to use egg whites that are 4-5 days old (kept in fridge),. Only problem is I'm never that prepared...

TotallyBursarforHogswatch Mon 16-Dec-13 00:26:47

I'm glad this batch turned out nicely. It was clearly just a lack of dedication on your part missing out the volcano tour, that'll learn you! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now