can I use demerera or caster sugar in place of soft brown sugar?

(6 Posts)
SpookedMackerel Mon 02-Dec-13 13:52:02

Recipe states to use soft brown sugar, I can't find it anywhere (not in UK, maybe they don't even have it here...)
Will it mess things up to just use caster sugar, or will it work OK and just not taste as good?

(Recipe is cheesecake topping on top of main baked part if cheesecake - sour cream, chocolate and soft brown sugar)

Thumbwitch Mon 02-Dec-13 13:58:10

Soft brown sugar is finer than demerara and more sticky than either caster sugar or demerara - you may notice a difference if you use it, but it will be textural if anything. I'd use caster sugar, I think, if I had no access to soft brown - demerara has bigger crystals so will make more of a textural difference.

cupcakeicing Mon 02-Dec-13 14:11:02

Use a bit of both say 70% caster and 30% demerara. That way you get the colour without too much of a hard texture.

SpookedMackerel Mon 02-Dec-13 14:59:38

Thank you!

Where are you? I'm in Germany and the only place I can get soft brown sugar is the Asian speciality food shop.

SpookedMackerel Mon 09-Dec-13 10:25:04

Yeah, I am in Germany. It tasted fine with white sugar, but I will have a look in the Asian shop next time I'm in town. Or stock up when we're home for Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now