readymade gingerbread dough

(19 Posts)
NAR4 Wed 27-Nov-13 19:30:40

I bought lots of this from Sainsburys last Christmas because its quick, easy and my children (and dh) love it. They don't seem to sell it this year though and I can't find anywhere that does. Does anyone know where I can get some and why none of the supermarkets seem to be selling it thus year.?

BlingBubbles Wed 27-Nov-13 19:40:08

Lakeland normally have.

Our Saubsburys have it - next to the butter with the pastry!

SolomanDaisy Wed 27-Nov-13 19:45:10

Not quite the same, but Ikea do a pepparkarkor dough which is similar. It makes delicious biscuits!

NAR4 Thu 28-Nov-13 20:38:59

I have looked in 4 different Sainsburys near me and online, but its not in any of them this year. Also looked on IKEA website and the one that's near(ish) me doesn't have any in stock.

Will be looking in Lakeland now.

Thank you everyone.

curlew Thu 28-Nov-13 20:41:31

I hate to be a knob- but it's incredibly easy to make gingerbread - would you like a recipe?
<hides><please ignore me if you want to><but it is really easy>

Curlew - yes please! I like baking but I've never really mastered gingerbread! If you've got an easy one then me and DS might try it this weekend!

curlew Thu 28-Nov-13 21:45:45

Put 125g butter, 100g brown sugar and 3 tbs golden syrup in a pan. Warm until melted. Add 300g plain flour, 1tsp ground ginger, apinch of nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon and a tsp bicarbonate.of soda. Stir like crazy. Make I to a dough. Wrap in cling film. Chill.

Then just treat it like the bought stuff. Honest- it's easy peasy.

lolalotta Fri 29-Nov-13 17:54:44

What temperature and for how long do you cook those Curlew?? Would love to give them a try! grin

Crusoe Fri 29-Nov-13 18:00:23

Waitrose have some and so do Asda

NAR4 Sat 30-Nov-13 19:13:19

Wait rose and Asda here, don't have them either.

Curlew thanks for the recipe, I will give it a go. When I made it in the past, the dough was really sticky and a devil to pick up the cut out biscuits to put on the tray. It really put me off making it again. I had visions of a crying toddler because I screwed one up trying to get it onto the baking tray. The recipe I used had treacle in it, so maybe your recipe will be better.

bigTillyMint Sat 30-Nov-13 19:16:06

When I made it recently, I found that letting it cool (putting it in the fridge for a bit) helped to make it firmer and less sticky.

curlew Sat 30-Nov-13 19:21:37

Oops, sorry. I'd say about 180 and check after 10 minutes (I've got an Aga, so it's a bit vague!) Undercook rather than overcook because they firm up as they cool.

lolalotta Sat 30-Nov-13 19:45:41

Thanks Curlew! grin

Gingerbread is pretty fool proof to make. I like it a Bit softer than snappy if that makes sense so I only do it for 8-9 mins
I got some really cute cutters in tiger recently, just for gingerbread

NAR4 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:02:56

Is it best to make, cut out and then freeze the biscuits uncooked, or are they just not suitable for freezing? I want to do as much of my Christmas cooking as I can, in advance.

curlew Tue 03-Dec-13 22:20:37

I'm sure you could freeze them cut out- I never have, but I freeze the dough, and that's the same thing.

NAR4 Wed 04-Dec-13 15:20:44

Thanks Curlew, you've been a gem.

I freeze them once I have baked them. Works a treat. Just defrost and pass to the dc to decorate smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now