At last success with sourdough!

(4 Posts)
whataboutbob Sun 17-Nov-13 19:31:36

Just made a awesome loaf and have to post about it!
After2 less than convincing attempts using a technique ( Poilane's) found in Patricia well's Paris book, I tried the River Cottage method. This little baby has been incubating since Tuesday but boy the flavour is great. It's like the kind of bread I seek out in v good boulangeries when I go France.

duende Sun 17-Nov-13 19:33:13

Would you share the recipe please? I love sourdough bread. Not sure I have the time to make it though...

GideonKipper Sun 17-Nov-13 19:35:19

Do you need a Herman grin?

whataboutbob Sun 17-Nov-13 21:18:10

Thee recipe is a bit involved but if you google Hugh Fernley W and sourdough it should come up as he did a guardian piece on it. I got mine out of the River Cottage bread book.
Basically you should start the starter off 1 week before making the bread so it 's a bit of a commitment. But I have been very pleased with the result, not least because the starter smelt consistently pleasant, unlike last time I tried. It was foul after a week. What I also found quite successful was baking it in my gran's old Le Creuset casserole pan ( lid on) which allowed it to keep a nice round shape and not spread out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now