Advise needed for the school bake sale

(10 Posts)
oohnewshoes Fri 15-Nov-13 23:34:52

I have never baked for the school bake sale before but I'm an ok baker.

I was thinking of baking a cake or two the morning of the sale, but since I'm on the committee feel I need to do a bit more. I am on hols next week from work and need some ideas for things I could make in advance.

I will make cookie dough and freeze. But need inspiration for other items. I have alot of eggs thanks to a neighbour so I was thinking mini meringues, would the keep and would they go soggy if I fill with cream on the morning?

I would really appreciate some advise from bake sale pros. I keep looking at recipes that end up fiddly, need to be made that morning or expensive to make. Budget is not really an issue but I don't want to end up spending ££ on ten bars of 80% coco chocolate.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Sat 16-Nov-13 08:59:58

Can't help with baking in advance but if you are baking in the morning try these. They are super easy to make, you can even measure out everything the night before and they always go well at any cake sale smile

Artandco Sat 16-Nov-13 09:05:31

Choc rice crispy cakes. Add lots of shiny sweets. Not even a cake technically, super unhealthy, but always sells out first!

rwepi Sat 16-Nov-13 09:08:09

I always do gingerbreadmen. Easy and don't need artistic skills i don't have. Always seem to go down well and can be done a few days in advance

500internalerror Sat 16-Nov-13 09:11:32

Bake sale as in for the kids to buy? If so, my advice is.... Stay cheap and cheerful, include chocolate, don't expect cakes to sell for more than it cost you to bake them. It's often easier and financially sensible to just buy tesco value fairy cakes & add enticing icing & toppings yourself!

JugglingChaotically Sat 16-Nov-13 09:14:33

If for children then not actual cakes but as others have said choc crispies, cupcakes, cookies and I find brownies and millionaires shortbread always sell well too!
Keep it small so they don't need plates or paper napkins.

littlemissmegan Wed 19-Mar-14 19:08:43

try bakewell tarts, I always buy/make bakewell tarts for my own school and they always sell well, (plus they are my favourite) just make sure you say they contain almonds because some nut allergics may pick them up without knowing

Hassled Wed 19-Mar-14 19:11:26

All the kids really want are the garishly coloured cup cakes/fairy cakes. Lob a few sprinkles on, throw in some food colouring and they'll sell like hot cakes (see what I did there?). I think you may be over-thinking this, lovely though your suggestions sound.

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 19-Mar-14 19:24:42

Our local scout fair sells muffins and they sell really well. A bit more substantial and less sickly than cup cakes people love them. They sell an amazing range of varities ( it's the only kind of baking they sell) everything from white chocolate, peach, cranberry and orange, apple and cinnamon, apple and walnut, strawberry, peanut butter,maple pecan, dark chocolate and coconut, the list goes on with over 20 types on sale. THere is usually a frenzy.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Wed 19-Mar-14 19:28:21

Have you considered a naice lemon drizzle? Evil grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now