Baking in a solid fuel Rayburn?

(7 Posts)
Castlelough Thu 14-Nov-13 00:22:18

Just wondering if anyone has experience of baking in a solid fuel Rayburn?

DH and I are putting a reconditioned one into our new house. We will have underfloor heating and also an additional gas hob/oven in the kitchen, so really it is a luxury that we will light in the winter to keep heating costs down (as we have a plentiful source of wood on our land) and for the cosy warmth it will bring to the kitchen...

But I am excited about the prospect of cooking on it, and would hope to maximise the use of the Rayburn for cooking in winter when it is lit.

So, I'm wondering about baking.......there are two ovens - a 'roasting' oven and a 'warming' oven in the Rayburn. I'm aware that it is difficult to regulate heat in a solid fuel range (from reading other older threads)
so I'm wondering if either oven is suitable for baking, and what do any of you have success baking in these ovens?

Also what else do you use the 'warming' oven for? Well, actually, any tips at all for cooking on a solid fuel range would be welcome smile!
I'm sure there are lots of novel ideas out there!!!

Justletmestayinbed Thu 14-Nov-13 00:35:24

We had an aga only (well, and a microwave) for most of my childhood and my mum deffo did lots of baking. You just have to check the food often to see if it's done and you'll soon get a feel for how long things take.

Warming oven super handy for if, like me, you're bad at getting everything ready at the same time, eg for a roast. Also for warming plates, obviously. My mum is horrified that I never warm plates, it's a must for her.

I dream of owning an Aga or Rayburn, lucky you!!! Don't know about for Rayburns, but for Agas you can get great accessories eg a wire toasting grid thing, and a guy locally to us makes these wire tray things that sit on top of the hot plates which can be used to keep your takeaway warm or to dry clothes on smile smile ha!

Castlelough Thu 14-Nov-13 01:11:59

Thanks Justletmestayinbed that's really encouraging to hear!

Yes, I'm feeling really lucky! DH just relented this week and decided it was a good idea. We had been looking at oil powered ones before but we just couldn't justify the expense. The solid fuel range can serve like multifuel stove (except prettier grin and possibly more useful!)

The reconditioned ones are reasonably comparatively affordable Just - just be sure to buy from a reputable place.

I must look up that toasting rack! Yes, I had thought of warming plates! ;-) I wonder could dough be left to rise in a warming oven??? (for all that baking I intend to take up!!!!!)

Justletmestayinbed Thu 14-Nov-13 14:45:52

I'm not sure about bread dough. I think the warming oven might be too warm for proving.

My mums aga must be mains I think, if that's possible?? No gas or oil canisters and not solid fuel. Hm!

Castlelough Tue 19-Nov-13 17:49:49

Thanks Just for all your help.

Anybody else got advice for baking in the Rayburn? It has two ovens - roasting and warming, but from what I've read, when burning mostly wood as we will the roasting oven will prob be around 150-160c...

cumbria1 Sun 01-Dec-13 11:06:02

We have been using a solid fuel Rayburn since June this year . It was installed new and we burn anthracite . It comes with two grates so from what you say you will need to ask the engineer to fit the one suitable for wood . We find it runs very hot -I suspect it will be cooler with wood but it may also be more difficult to keep it in overnight.
We find the best temperature for cooking is around 200 . Its not that easy to regulate and if I was baking a cake I would tend to use our electric fan oven. The bottom oven is good for warming and does act as a kind of slow cooker if the Rayburn is running hot overall.
It depends what you want to cook but 150 to 160 could be quite slow and also might not heat the hot plates sufficiently to boil water quickly.
Takes some getting used to - but its the heart of the house now and we wouldn't be without it. Good luck and hope this helps!

Castlelough Fri 27-Dec-13 20:57:22

Thanks Cumbria! What would be some of your favourite things to cook in/on it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now