Sugar paste or ready rolled icing? Help!

(5 Posts)
Pos1 Thu 31-Oct-13 11:13:14

Hello

I wonder if any of you can help me. I want to make a peppa pig cake for my daughter and deviate from my normal buttercream sponges.

I had planned to make a sponge, put buttercream and jam in middle and the cover with ready rolled icing and make a peppa pig model for the top. But the terms are confusing me so can anyone clarify the following:

1) what icing do I need to buy? Is it ready rolled royal icing? Or just called ready rolled icing?
2) do I make the model with sugar paste or something else
3) finally does anyone have a tried and tested link to a peppa pig model with instructions? I will need a bit of instructions rather than just winging it....

I had thought about peppa on green icing. Might try to make a pond or puddle or something too......

Thanks

Pos1 Thu 31-Oct-13 11:14:02

Also...,any recommendations of where I can buy all this?

I'll PM you a link to a simple cake, Pos

It's not one I've tried but it looks straightforward. I'm a bit of a novice caker but I have used sugarpaste effectively. Royal icing is the one that's quite plain and white. Sugarpaste is a bit of a different texture but can be modelled, from my experience.

I'm making fairy cakes this afternoon. DD (2.9) is going to "decorate" them. Good job it's Hallowe'en! grin

Pos1 Thu 31-Oct-13 11:47:37

Thanks for that - will go and have a look...

nannycook Thu 31-Oct-13 12:35:12

Pos, royal icing isnt easy to use unless your experienced in using it, fondant/ sugarpaste is so much easier, dont buy it precoloured as its expensive, white white and colour it yourself, make sure you knead it to get it soft to use, invest in a smoother to make sure you get rid of lumps and bumps etc.google how to do these things or you youtube, so helpful, as you make more you'll get better at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now