Two different sized cake tins..?

(8 Posts)
VeryStressedMum Wed 30-Oct-13 22:03:15

I was just in Tesco and forgot to get another 8 inch (20cm) cake tin for the cake I'm making tomorrow morning. I haven't got time to go back to the shop, but I have got another cake tin which is very slightly smaller, quarter of an inch I think, maybe half an inch.. Will it work if I sandwich the two cakes together or will it be too noticeable?

DreamlessSleep Wed 30-Oct-13 22:06:33

Can u trim round the bigger cake once cooked and cooled?

skillsandtea Wed 30-Oct-13 22:07:58

I have two very slightly different sized tins and I do notice it. It bugs me every time as I end up trimming around them to make them match. Sorry.

ExitPursuedByABogieMan Wed 30-Oct-13 22:09:08

Put the smaller one on the top.

Decorate.

Enjoy.

VeryStressedMum Wed 30-Oct-13 22:16:21

Thanks. I thought it may be noticeable, but hoped not too much. Not sure about my trimming technique, it'll probably look worse than the different sized cakes.
But as it's just for family I may just leave it and hope it tastes better than it will look smile

VeryStressedMum Thu 31-Oct-13 00:26:12

OR..can I pour the whole mix into one tin and cut the cake in half? Or will it be too much for one tin and not bake right?

NoComet Thu 31-Oct-13 00:30:32

All mixture in one tin is how DM always makes sponges, but it will only work if you have a deep tin. You can't put all the mixture in one sandwich tin.

Use one tin but cook it in two batches?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now