Want to Start Baking - Baking Essentials Guide?

(10 Posts)
SuzyBella Sun 27-Oct-13 01:43:40

I think the title says it all and it can sound like a stupid question, but I did little bits of research into 'Baking Essentials' and half of what was suggested I had never heard of and the other stuff didn't even look like it was used for baking! I want to be able to make all kinds of cakes - to not be limited to JUST cupcakes or muffins. I want to be able to flip through a Baking Book and say "Yes, I want to try that" and not then find I don't have anything that's required.

I saw when it comes to cupcakes and muffins people are pretty split between metal tray and silicone. I was surprised, I thought silicone was just used in breast implants - I didn't realise women had found a new use for it haha. But which do most people use? I want the actual cakes to be in their own little cup things like you have for a metal tray but I'm assuming silicone doesn't work like that? And what about making bigger cakes, like a victoria sponge. What size do I need? What should I be looking to use?

I know I need a rolling pin. Wait. You do still use rolling pins? And a whisk thing.

I would just really appreciate it if someone could give me a good list of the 'basics - essentials' for baking. But I am a student still so I want to know what I can get on the cheap and what equipment needs more money on. I don't want to buy lots of cheap stuff and then make terrible cakes.

Thanks for reading

soapnuts Sun 27-Oct-13 02:13:49

Bowl, scales, wooden spoon, get a 7 or 8 inch tin - (metal is my preference but silicone is fine too - just easier to get cake out of), personally I'd find a spatula more use than a whisk, rolling pin only if you're making pastry or rolling ready made icing, oh and an oven and a set of measuring spoons - that should set you up. For cupcakes/muffins you'd need another tin (you can generally use one for both - silicone or metal) and you buy the cases to line the tin with. Silicone is generally more expensive than metal and not necessary IMO. Have you to a local tkmaxx? I find them great or bargain baking stuff.

nannycook Sun 27-Oct-13 06:57:06

Suzy, that was funny to read. I agree what you said about silicone,should be kept for implants only, just my opinion but i much prefer metal tins, i bought a silicone mold the other day to make cupcakes and had to throw them out.

As soap says, a sieve is also essential for the flour, defo a set of spoons, greasproof paper for lining bigger tins, an oven glove, so you dont burn your pinkies, a good basic cake book.

Dunelm the place where you buy bedding etc sells a huge range of student kitchen thingys in bright colours.

MrsBennetsEldest Sun 27-Oct-13 07:05:56

Add a measuring jug to soapnuts list. As for baking tins, I also prefer metal.

mateysmum Sun 27-Oct-13 07:18:14

More than 1 of the basic pyrex mixing bowls is really useful as I find I always use several in different sizes - large ones for mixing the cake and smaller ones for melting chocolate etc. You can use any bowl of course, but being sturdy, deep sided and hear proof is really useful. Wilkinsons also do lots of bargain baking stuff.

My other recommendation is get a digital kitchen timer. If you're anything like me I put a cake in the oven and then go onto mumsnet go and do something else and forget the time.

If you want to do biscuits/swiss roll, you'll need a baking tray. Here but the best you can afford as the cheap ones tend to buckle.

When you buy scales, if you can, get ones with an "add and weigh" facility I find that makes life so much easier.

It's definitely worth searching online for baking goods as there are some bargains.

Happy baking.

mateysmum Sun 27-Oct-13 07:19:02

oops .....heaT proof

Onykahonie Sun 27-Oct-13 15:27:33

I much prefer metal tins too, although a silicone spatula is a must.
I would buy a good non-stick baking tray/sheet for making cookies (it's worth buying a good one as the cheap ones don't last), a measuring cup (so you can make American recipes too), a hand-held mixer if you're going to be baking sponge cakes...much easier than whisking/mixing by hand. You'll need a wire cooling rack too.
Try Poundland and ASDA for cheap kitchen equipment.

The GBBO 'Learn to Bake' cook book is great for beginners, my 12 yr old dd has made a few recipes from it and they've worked out really well.

Trills Sun 27-Oct-13 15:38:03

I would start by thinking of one thing that you want to make, and getting the stuff you need for that.

Then make that thing once or twice before you move on.

If you buy a load of stuff right away you may find that you don't need a rolling pin for the first 10 things that you make.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 27-Oct-13 16:13:00

If you're on a tight budget, don't bother with a rolling pin - you can always repurpose a glass bottle (eg wine) for this.

I'd agree with what's been posted above. I'd also add that you might want a few sizes of cake tin - eg 12-hole cupcake, 8 inch sponge (maybe 2 of these?), and a loaf tin. I actually quite like Sainsbury's tins, and they discount them fairly regularly.

SuzyBella Tue 29-Oct-13 20:04:35

Thank you Ladies, soo helpful!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now