Pie Dish sizes

(3 Posts)
CinderToffee Thu 24-Oct-13 19:59:55

I want to try making a pumpkin pie next week, but the recipe I was planning to use calls for a 23cm pie dish (as do all the pie recipes in this particular book). I don't have a pie dish, and when I googled a bit to see where I might get one, it seems that 23cm is a bit of a weird size, and 24cm is more usual.

I quite fancied getting a Le Creuset pie dish because they are pretty, and I'm guessing you can cut the pie in them. But they are 24cm. Can I make a recipe for a 23cm pie in a 24cm dish or will this go terribly wrong? Should I just try and get a 23cm one instead?

WowOoo Thu 24-Oct-13 20:36:26

23 or 24cm will be fine. Keep an eye on your cooking time as filling will be shallower and more likely to burn on top or cook more quickly with smaller.

Yes, get a Le Creuset or similar dish. I can't even remember how long I've had mine for and they are still going strong. I soak them for a while and then they are v easy to clean. Good for arm muscles too as they are so bloody heavy!

Wowoo is right. They won't go "Terribly wrong" as Cinders thinks. Anyway, it depends where you measure from.......inside or outside. We make 18cm and 23cm ones. There is nothing to stop you adjusting your filling quantities to fit the pan. Literally lateral thinking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now