Anyone else with a sourdough starter....?! Might need some help...!

(4 Posts)

I made sourdough for several months during spring to early summer and then - having previously been in a really good rhythm with my starter - I put the jar of starter in the fridge while we were away intermittently through the summer. Now I've taken it out of the fridge - about a week or so ago - and I feel completely all at sea with the thing hmm here are my main issues:

I have fed it every other day or so but it continually smells incredibly vinegary no matter what I do;
It seems to look separated and topped with a greyish watery layer within a few hours of stirring or feeding it - I don't recall this happening before or at least not so regularly. Is this a concern? Am I doing something wrong? Should I be feeding it more?
And then yesterday I realised it was attracting fruit flies from a soggy kiwi in the fruit bowl. confused I have not discarded the starter even though it seemed to have some flies hanging around it. I've just changed from the manky old jar to a new improved one. But should I chuck it?!

Lastly, if I can crack to vinegary-ness, generally speaking how long after feeding it do you embark on starting to make a loaf? (I've forgotten this - duh!) and how long after it's been 'hibernating' should I wait before starting to use it again??

Thank you in advance - I'm so cross with myself for forgetting so much in such a short space of time! Must be getting old blush

Really?! No others bread geeks around?!? sad

twattock Thu 24-Oct-13 19:41:21

if it's nasty start again, it doesn't take more than a couple of days after all. sometimes it just happens. don't lose heart! you could always use a bit of ordinary yeast in the mix until it really gets going.

It should smell beer-y (if such a word exists) not vinegary. You can store in fridge for several months - it does separate out into a sludge and brownish water, but as you said get it out stir it up and re-feed.

Smells like yours has gone off - would start again. My main one is about 2 years old now.

Yes, a pinch or so of yeast does help at bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now