Kitchen Aid - how long do I 'knead' for?

(9 Posts)
daughterofafarmer Tue 22-Oct-13 14:08:22

I was ask for a bread marker for x-m&s but my sister just suggested using my Kitchen Aid instead. I was just wondering how long do/ should I mix it for.

Thanks

gaggiagirl Tue 22-Oct-13 15:10:25

5 minutes on high or until it springs back when you push a finger in it.
Lucky you mmmmmmm bread!

daughterofafarmer Tue 22-Oct-13 17:06:49

Thanks gagg

Sadly it's utterly terrible...a total disaster. I think I over worked it and underproved it! House smells good through grin

It's like the bread from about a boy!!!!

Ha. I made my first loaf with the KA today. I do have a breadmaker but was out of flour so used a bread mix. Was bloody awful too grin

gaggiagirl Tue 22-Oct-13 17:29:04

I hand knead mine but its always pretty rubbish in loaf form. You can't go wrong with pizza dough though.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Tue 22-Oct-13 19:03:22

I mix the ingredients on 1, then when all the liquid is incorporated I increase the speed to 2, and knead for 8 to 10 min.

If you want a good book on bread, the River Cottage handbook is cheap and v. good!

One issue found is thast most people tend to have too dry a mix, even for hand kneading you don't usually need to flour a worksurface as the flour sticks helps to stretch it out.

For mixers (have a K-Mix) - also make sure the dough is quite 'wet', if it balls up as youmix it then its proably too dry, it should almost stick to the bottom part of the bowl and sort of rise up on the hook. As you mix more it starts to get stretchier, less sticky and glossy.

I find mixers better for the rich doughs with eggs / butter, but you just need to keep experimenting.

Also you cam prove for many hours at a lower temp - often do overnight proves.

Suddengeekgirl Sun 17-Nov-13 21:30:29

Can I ask a question?

I baked a loaf this weekend and used my KA to knead it.

The bread tasted lovely but seemed quite dense and heavy. Is there something I'm doing wrong? confused
It did rise nicely and was a good shape, just seemed very dense compared to the supermarket crap bread I'm used to.

bundaberg Sun 17-Nov-13 21:37:33

agree with keeping it wetter than you think. you want it to kind of "slap" around in the bowl to start with. resist the urge to add more flour!

it'll get nice and elasticy and absorb the water and be fine

i usually hand-knead for 10 mins, or use the KA for 4-5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now