Bulk buying flour

(17 Posts)
BlackberrySeason Tue 22-Oct-13 01:13:49

I am really pleased that finally I have got into a good routine with the bread maker, am using it all the time and getting nice loaves smile

The supermarket flours I have been using are also sold direct from the mill in 16-25kg bags. I am really tempted, as there is a big saving, but DH is concerned about weevils blush

Can I just keep the flour in the sack or will it go off/get eaten before we can use it?

BrianTheMole Tue 22-Oct-13 15:06:35

Not sure, but bumping your thread as I want to know the answer to this too.

BlackberrySeason Tue 22-Oct-13 18:58:32

Thanks Brian smile

Anyone??

DesperatelySeekingSanity Tue 22-Oct-13 19:09:12

I do it. Store it in a small metal dustbin with a tight fitting lid I got from ikea. Never had a weevil problem and never run out of flour. Actually I have two; one for plain flour and one for strong plain flour.

BlackberrySeason Tue 22-Oct-13 19:11:09

Ooh sanity thank you - that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I would like to buy a sack of spelt and a sack of strong whole meal!

We now store our flour in the freeze to avoid pests. Do you have a massive freezer?

BlackberrySeason Wed 23-Oct-13 06:43:48

No! But might be able to freeze in smaller packs. Didn't know you could freeze flour!

MrsBennetsEldest Wed 23-Oct-13 06:50:23

I buy white Spelt from Shipton Mill in 25kg sacks. I keep it in a bin with a tight fitting lid. Never had any problems. I used to get it from Doves but the delivery was pathetic( Orders didn't turn up on a regular basis , I would phone them only to be told oh, it's out of stock. No email or text to let me know) Shipton is better flour, cheaper and it's delivered free next day).

bacon Wed 23-Oct-13 12:21:40

I also have bought from Shipton but the time you spend £8p&P it is not a cost saving as you can buy excellent flour from Waitrose.

I prob wont buy from Shiptons in the near future I did buy a lot last time but they still came in small paper bags. Only if I need speciality flour. Again popping to Waitrose and buying 6 bags is prob still cheaper.

You can buy cheap plastic boxes from Ikea, wilkinsons to store it.

MrsBennetsEldest Wed 23-Oct-13 17:39:16

If you buy a 25kg sack the shipping is free. I only use spelt and there's no waitrose nearby. 1 kg bags from a supermarket are no good to me.

BlackberrySeason Wed 23-Oct-13 17:44:00

I've calculated that at 25kg with free p&p it's cheaper than ocado.

Shallishanti Wed 23-Oct-13 17:45:12

we get sacks of doves farm and put them in big plastic tubs in the cellar, they take half a sack each and came from some food factory a friend knew.

Also a fan of Shipton Mill - go and collect directly. 25kg of the white bread and wholemeal - keep in garage. Other speciality stuff I get in their 1kg bags - go through quite a lot of it...

Never had weevils in their flour, prefer it to supermarket bread flour, Allinsons OK from Aldi.

Which is the lesser of the two weevils?

Bacon - i think you need to specify the larger sacks. Shipton is great - lot's of other unusual flours. Put a proportion Ciabatta flour in a pizza dough mix and it does come out much lighter and fluffier. They also do various nibs of seeds / grains etc.

BlackberrySeason Wed 23-Oct-13 21:50:13

Loving the two weevils grin

DH thinks we will end up living off weevily hardtack, like the navy in the time of Nelson...

bacon Mon 28-Oct-13 20:56:54

I use a mix of plain, SR flour and bread flours trouble is if you order 25kg its 'ell of a lot of flour and at this moment in time have nowhere to store as much as this. I live over the bridge from the mill so by the time I collect thats another £6 in bridge tolls plus fuel seems excessive when Waitrose do sell quality flour and there are two within 15 miles. Usually when I'm on my travels in delis I do also pick up flours.

I bake a lot but it would take me a considerable amount of time to plough through 25kg or 25 bags of flour. Unless you have plenty of space then its not really feasible.

BlackberrySeason Mon 28-Oct-13 21:14:31

Yes good point about the storage, bacon!

Took the plunge yesterday and I have 2 x 25 kg bags coming - one spelt and one wholemeal. I calculate we will use them in 6 months. Weevils - stay away!!!

Blackberry, I will be interested to hear how your storage goes. Before I read your last post I was thinking that 10 to12 weeks might be a sensible limit as the protein will break down eventually (although not being a biochemist I wouldn't know when). Interested to hear about weevils, obviously, but also to hear if there is any diminution in bread quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now