ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Which packet cake mix do you use?

(7 Posts)
slummyyummymummy1 Mon 21-Oct-13 19:15:05

Hi all, I have just bought the Australian
Women's Weekly kids birthday cake book and all the recipes involve butter cake packet mix. I am a total novice when it comes to baking so will start with using packet mix! Those that use this book and use packet mix, I was wondering which brands do you recommend? Many thanks!

Beamur Mon 21-Oct-13 19:17:20

I once complimented someone on their cake and they said it was from a packet - Betty Crocker devils food cake i think. It was very good.

saintmerryweather Mon 21-Oct-13 19:19:39

betty crocker does make nice moist cakes but they taste very artificial

Beamur Mon 21-Oct-13 23:31:47

A simple sponge is quite simple really. I use an all in one recipe (delia smith)
110g sr flour, 110g sugar, 110g butter, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon baking powder, vanilla essence. Mix together with food mixer. Makes lots of small buns or 2 small layers.

slummyyummymummy1 Tue 22-Oct-13 00:28:16

Thank you for your replies! I will certainly check out Betty Crocker.
Beamur- thank you for the recipe. It looks great and not too complicated even for me- I may well try it!

Treats Wed 23-Oct-13 12:36:20

If it's the same one I have, they provide recipes for making from scratch at the back of the book - the quantities should substitute for one packet of cake mix so you just scale up depending on how many packets of cake mix the recipe requires. I've made a couple of cakes from that book with this method and had great results.

It's a very straightforward recipe and given that the recommended cake mix (White Wings?) isn't available in this country, you're probably more likely to get a good outcome with this than substituting for a different brand of cake mix.

Bunbaker Thu 07-Nov-13 18:52:59

I do what Beamur does. All in one, mix until just mixed and don't overmix or it won't rise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now