Adjusting ingredient quantities

(3 Posts)
stopthenoise Sun 06-Oct-13 08:39:03

I need some help adjusting a recipe for a larger cake please. I usually bake basic cakes for family using a Mary Berry recipe that's never failed me yet. It makes a decent sized 2 layer 8 inch cake, ingredients are:
4 eggs
225g of butter, sugar and flour
2tsp baking powder
I need a 3, possibly 4, layer cake. The layers come out quite deep anyway so could probably get away with 3. How do I adjust the quantities from my trusty 2 layer recipe? TIA

Knittingmamma Sun 06-Oct-13 08:48:17

Use six or eight eggs for 3/4 layers. Weigh the eggs before you start (in their shells) and use that amount of flour, sugar and butter. Alternatively, do what you're used to but twice and you'll have 4 layers! grin

nannycook Sun 06-Oct-13 15:27:03

stop, i use exactly the same quantities as you , in fact i just finished making 3 cake all different flavours, i bought the same size tin so i could make 3 layers and all i do is add another 4 ozs, to make a 12 oz mix, then you have a 4oz mix in 3 tins( 225grms is an 8 oz mix, but i guess you know that) .

I make cakes for a local cafe and i always use the same mix and quantites, the only difference i do is with the choc cake where i add melted dark choc as well as cocoa powder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now