Help me bake my DD a birthday cake!

(17 Posts)
PuzzledBear Thu 03-Oct-13 13:44:06

I have a very limited baking repertoire. I make chocolate cakes. Sometimes I put chocolate icing on top, and sometimes, when requested to put a picture on top, I make royal icing and decorate. And that's it. It's worked fine until now, when DD2 has announced that she wants a plain sponge cake with a picture on the top. How do I do this? I am ok with simple instructions but do not have a recipe for a plain sponge cake (looks sadly at very successful chocolate cake recipe).

grabaspoon Thu 03-Oct-13 13:51:41

I too want to make a birthday cake so looking forward to ideas

Habbibu Thu 03-Oct-13 13:56:20

Nigella Lawson's buttermilk birthday cake is really nice and reliable: hhtp://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/.../Birthday_Cake.pdf

What picture does she want? On sponge cakes I make the main icing a meringue buttercream, and then use fondant or sweets for detail.

Habbibu Thu 03-Oct-13 13:57:07
Habbibu Thu 03-Oct-13 13:58:25

Curses. If you google Nigella buttermilk birthday cake, you should find it. The guardian pdf I was trying to post was my first result.

YDdraigGoch Thu 03-Oct-13 13:58:34

Plain sponge cake is easy:
3 eggs
6oz SR flour
6oz butter or marg
6oz caster sugar

Just use the same ratio and increase the quantities for a bigger cake (eg 4,8,8,8).

Bob's your uncle smile

JudithOfThePiece Thu 03-Oct-13 13:59:56

Delia's all-in-one sponge cake recipe is failsafe, IME. My children have had many a birthday cake made from that. Google it and have a look at her website.

What picture does she want on the top?

sassytheFIRST Thu 03-Oct-13 14:02:19

I use Butter cake recipe :-

125g softened butter
Teaspoon vanilla essence
165g caster sugar - beat all three well.
Beat in 2 eggs
Stir in 225g self r flour and 125 ml milk in 2 batches.

Picture on top - easiest way is roll out ready roll and cut to size of cake, use apricot jam to glue it on. Have your pic drawn/copied ready and cut out, pit in top of more ready roll and use as a template. Add details in more ready roll or paint on with a brush.

bruffin Thu 03-Oct-13 14:03:49

What does she mean by picture. You can get printed cake toppers
like these I ordered some for dd's birthday last week and they came the next day

PuzzledBear Thu 03-Oct-13 14:04:38

Brilliant, thank you. The picture is a photo, so I plan to do royal icing and get a cake topper made. What should I use as the filling? Jam?

I use the recipe on the side of the Stork tub

Habbibu Thu 03-Oct-13 14:08:06

Jam or buttercream both fine. This cake, also Nigella, is super easy as you stick it all in a food processor. It's got a nice, firm texture, but is oddly like shop-bought, iyswim? I really like it, but it's not like a basic sponge.

Habbibu Thu 03-Oct-13 14:08:31

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/best-birthday-cake-118
Oh dear lord. I give up.

Habbibu Thu 03-Oct-13 14:09:04
AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 03-Oct-13 14:15:55

I have never had good results with the Nigella buttermilk cake think I am the only person in the world, though!
However,
6oz SR flour
6oz marge
6oz sugar
3 eggs
1tsp baking power
Works every time. Do it in 2 7-inch cake tins at 190 for 20/25 mins. When cooled, spread jam and then sandwich together. Yummy.

I made this one.

It's a simple chocolate victoria sponge with chocolate fingers around it a some sweets on top.

looks impressive but is very simple.

PuzzledBear Thu 03-Oct-13 14:44:07

Marvellous. I think I can probably cope now. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now