Cheaper alternative to Lakeland icing mats?

(6 Posts)
DorisShuttAgainstGhosts Wed 02-Oct-13 12:38:08

Lakeland do these mats which I am sorely tempted by for use on my Christmas cake (can you tell it's my first Christmas cake?!), but they are a bit expensive.

Has anyone seen an alternative? I'm looking to create raised snowflakes - so a mat or an icing cutter/stamper would be fabulous as I am notoriously cack-handed with icing so piping isn't really a viable option. Spread and paste is the plan!

TIA! thanks

eringramochroi Wed 02-Oct-13 17:33:18

If you look here
http://m.windsorcakecraft.co.uk/products_search.php?category_id=0&search_string=snowflake&page=2

There are some cutters and silicone moulds at more reasonable prices.

nannycook Wed 02-Oct-13 22:29:09

oh doris thats so expensive, if you want some simple snowflake cutters, i got mine from amazon, 3 in a pack,( plungers) cut them out leave to dry and put then put some glitter on, so effective, i did it on my xmas cake last year. i'll put a pic on so you'll have to click on my profile page.

DorisShuttAgainstGhosts Thu 03-Oct-13 07:38:24

Wow nannycook that cake looks lovely, and exactly the style I want (although mine might have the addition of several Santa Clauses, reindeers and various other bits of plastic grin )

Eringramochroi - that website is great. I can see me spending a small fortune!

Thanks! thanks

nannycook Thu 03-Oct-13 08:56:07

you can always do a snowy scene rather that fondant icing and put what you want on top. they look so pretty with all the glitter on.

Fifi1963 Fri 04-Oct-13 10:43:00

Have you tried
www.cupcakedecoration.co.uk

they do both ready made cake decorations and colours/glitters/icing/cutters to make your own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now