Deep shortcrust pastry cases

(8 Posts)
VikingVagine Wed 02-Oct-13 11:17:52

Hello, I'm trying to get a little more organised re family meals and have decided to work my way through a certain celebrity chef's 30 minute meals book. Quite often it says "deep shortcrust pastry cases" and I want to pre-make a load to then freeze so I can get them out and use them when I need them for a recipe.

So, a couple of questions:

Has anyone else done this before?
Do I just follow any shortcrust pastry recipe?
My gut instinct is to bake them blind then freeze them, or do I need to bake them fully then freeze them?

mrspink27 Thu 03-Oct-13 09:57:10

I freeze mine before they are baked...Ordinary shortcrust recipe... bake blind straight from freezer...

Habbibu Thu 03-Oct-13 10:01:54

Freeze unbaked. Much nicer that way.

VikingVagine Thu 03-Oct-13 12:20:27

Ok, but that means I need to freeze them in a mould, hmm, I was hoping to make a couple of trays full but I only have one tray. Maybe I'll get some foil ones.

mrspink27 Thu 03-Oct-13 12:31:58

You can freeze them in the mold and then decant them...you can freeze pastry in a blob as well...and it keeps well in the fridge in cling film for a day or two.

mrspink27 Thu 03-Oct-13 12:34:38

Just found this ...freezing ahead

mrspink27 Thu 03-Oct-13 12:36:01

Also... have you got a deep muffin pan... you could make individual mini pie cases?

VikingVagine Thu 03-Oct-13 20:43:08

I was planning on making mini individual ones and just using four at a time for the four of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now