Banana bread?

(14 Posts)
BeckyBrandon Tue 15-Oct-13 21:14:06

What happened with it op? Did you manage to rescue it?

I made a banana bread last week (2 actually) for friends and I used 4 bananas in mine, but they weren't huge. And it did need cooking a bit longer but was fine, I prefer banana bread when it has a nice crust on it anyway wink

Rtfairy Mon 30-Sep-13 16:00:56

ilovepowerhoop I think you might be right 4 bananas does seem an awful lot. I will try the other recipe next time as this one is definitely beyond repair now unfortunately

p.s. I know the john barrowman one uses 4 bananas but uses 285g of flour and 225g of sugar whereas the Sophie Dahl uses only 170g of flour and 200g of sugar so there are less dry ingredients in the Sophie recipe

I checked the recipe you used - does it really use 4 bananas as that is quite a lot? Maybe the soft bit in your cooked cake is actually just lots of squidgy cooked banana

YDdraigGoch Mon 30-Sep-13 15:30:58

What you think is raw cake might actually be cooked banana. If you're convinced it's raw cake, then cover the cake with foil to stop it burning, and turn the oven down low, and leave it in for a bit longer.

Shenanagins Mon 30-Sep-13 15:30:57

I always use the john barrowman recipe as linked above. I can't bake for toffee but this always is a success.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bananabread_85720 - this is the recipe we normally use

Rtfairy Mon 30-Sep-13 15:05:25

Thanks it just doesn't seem to be happening, it's actually been in the oven 1 hour 45 minutes now and the inside is still r
as raw as it was. Might be time to just give up!

I'd cook it a bit longer with foil over the top if it is starting to burn

Damnautocorrect Mon 30-Sep-13 14:53:14

Leave it to cool in the oven. Or pop foil over the top to stop it burning

Rtfairy Mon 30-Sep-13 14:48:43

160 electric fan assisted oven for 1 hour.

ihatethecold Mon 30-Sep-13 14:45:43

The recipe I use on the bbc good food site always needs cooking for longer than stated, usually about 15 mins longer.

how high was your oven?

Rtfairy Mon 30-Sep-13 14:35:40

Please help, just made a banana bread, followed Sophie Dahl's recipe exactly, just taken it out of the oven and it's cooked on the outside but seems to be completely raw on the inside. I'm not the best at baking but didn't think I could go wrong with the recipe, any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now